Posts from GlasgowJohn in thread „Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh“

Semigoodlooking , perhaps the importance of the royal family is that they are a glamorous and quaint throwback to earlier centuries, and a boon to tourism?

I don't really think tourists visit the UK to see the royal family. I know that people visit Buckingham Palace and other royal residences but it would seem to be more of a side trip than anything else. As UK Man says the day that Liz passes, there will be a major change in people's attitudes. Young Andy has got away with all sorts of misbehavior and some people have largely ignored it up til now.

The fawning of the Royal Family sycophants on one side and the viciousness of the Royal Family haters on the other are equally unedifying. In death, we are all equal and both sides need to show a bit of dignity.

I must confess to being a bit of a republican and can’t see why the UK needs a Royal Family and certainly can’t see why they get special treatment not afforded to the rest of us mere mortals.

Philip, the so-called Duke of Edinburgh, a title given to him for free, was not a nice person. He didn’t like people from different countries and often made comments that were totally uncalled for. The surname Mountbatten was also given to him for free – his family was a mixture of Greeks and German and lived close to the German – Danish border. His original name was Philippos Andreou of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderberg-Glücksburg. He changed this to the much more British Philip Mountbatten in 1947, just before he married the Queen, and gave up his claims to the Greek and Danish thrones.

Making comments about people’s eyes, skin colour and body shapes is not remotely amusing in my book and we should never have allowed him the excuse of, “It’s just banter”

There have been consistent rumours that members of his family were actively conniving with Hitler and his cronies and played both sides until it was clear the UK/US/Russian alliance was going to win the day. Philip’s sisters were married to prominent Nazis and didn’t attend their brother’s wedding. The real reason was never revealed.

Should we be totally reverent to him just because he was married to the Queen – a person who he met by accident when he was a naval officer?

If we are totally honest some people did call him a racist and a misogynist. He put his foot in it with some comments on overseas trips which if we are being polite were not anywhere close to being politically correct.

The big question is will QE2 only be allowed to invite 50 relatives to the funeral like the rest of the UK population?

Always good to see an Argie side to every story.

Infobae has found a story about a possible Argentine lover a few years back.

https://www.infobae.com/socied…cipe-felipe-de-edimburgo/