Posts from UK Man in thread „baexpats.org a con?“

thanks all. glad i'm not alone, haha!

i was a resident for about 6 years until last year when i moved to a new work assignment. but i still keep up with the news and happenings in arg, my partner is argentine so it's likely she and i will be back for visits often. who knows, maybe move back again someday if things stop being so crazy :)

Most of the blokes here married Argentine lassies as well. :thumbup:

Welcome. :thumbup:

You're better out of that place. It seems to be inhabited by mostly fictitious people with the aim of keeping Argentina in the third world. :thumbdown:

Control freak.

Yes it's very odd.....even freaky to be honest. I've exchanged messages with one of its memers with a female name. She did seem to take an unusual interest in our apartment in BA. I now wonder if 'she' had an ulterior motive.

Igor should be pleased that you’re willing to try so hard to get back in.

Who is he? An Argentine or a fake Russian?

You must be pleased that you don't get that kind of authoritarian behaviour in this forum UK Man .

We just don't do that kind of Soviet stuff here.

Well indeed. Especially now that I'm sure that site is about as genuine as a $3 bill.

Have you tried a different browser and/or device. You are still "registered" there but I am not sure they display if someone is banned.

I wonder if they know you also post here so are blocking you purely out of spite. Either way, childish feckers.

Your suggestion worked. :thumbup: I was able to log on using Chrome and so far so good, all seems to be working. Strange thing is it won't let me see my posting history or allow access into my message box.

One thing to consider is that, as much as we all can criticize our own countries or our mothers, we really aren’t neutral about outsiders’ saying anything critical about either of them.

But sometimes we are polite and pretend not to mind.

(I’m speaking only to the question of Argentines’ not objecting to negative comments about their country. An expats forum is a completely different kettle of fish, of course.)

Well of course. In real life I tend not to make negative comments anyway when amongst Argentine friends. They on the other hand are forever complaining. ^^ Plus it's not really a good idea for born and bred locals to inhabit a forum for Expats who like to express an opinion on how the country is run. I suspect that's part of the problem.

They could have flagged your IP address, which is why it loads in a private window.

All a bit over the top really.

Well it just gets weirder and weirder. Not only does it take forever to load the forum, once there all I now get is a blank page....so I guess that's me banned as it does load if I use a private window?

I don't give a monkey's to be honest but it's not exactly doing the reputation of the country any favours. Best of it is, in all my many years living here I've never met a local who gives a hoot whenever I've said anything negative about Argentina!!

They moderate your user, so anything you post is moderated by default. I think they have also a 'moderate for 1-3-6-12 month rule'. Whether your moderated messages are read and approved/rejected, it remains a mystery. I think I was allowed to post again only when the probation period was over. I don't think I got absolved because I am still banned from sending PMs, since I used them to write people about this forum.

It does seem to be run and frequented by very strange people. Just confirms my thoughts that many of its members are frauds.

Just to let you know I posted a new thread over there tonight. As I expected it's awaiting Mod approval. :rolleyes:

Depite it being true I don't think it will be made public so we shall see. I took a screenshot.

Screenshot-5.png

I will say the negatives of living here outweight the positives from a purely material viewpoint, but my wife and family are here so that makes up for it. However, I do not pretend that Argentina is some utopia like they do over on that forum.

I have no idea what the real background is of those who inhabit the other forum. I suspect the 'everything in Argentina is wonderful' brigade are either of a certain political persuasion or are foreign youngsters enjoying life here on the cheap. Then there are also those who don't even live here...they're the biggest pain in the arses.

Same as your feathers didn't get ruffled , i'm not offended or took this personally, i was just stating that as much as we don't care about what people think of our opinions, this will affect you, and sometimes it can be taken into the legal field, and that is what i meant by walking on eggshells.

My experience in argentina is less than stellar with numerous situations that complicated my life quite a bit and no, i can't just leave as i have certain compromises that make it impossible at this point.

Maybe i didn't express myself clearly but i dislike this country with a passion and most of the people in it too and also the way they do things here i just flat out hate it.

But not only that, you have to be careful how you voice your opinion because even in forums like this, some of that ''culture'' filters in .

No charges were filed against me on the other forum but it was kindly mentioned by the doktor at one point long ago.

I have days like you. I posted some negative comments on the other place aimed at the twats who think everything here is wonderful all because they earn in dollars. I suggested they stop giving the wrong impression as not every expat here earns in dollars. I think that's when my posts started to be moderated and deleted.

I have found this forum to be largely free of people taking outright offence at what is being posted but it seems some people are really saying "don't challenge my opinion because it makes me uncomfortable".

I'm not so sure about that...even I might have crossed the line now and again.^^

At the end of the day it is only a bleedin' internet forum of strangers. We do tend to converse differently when not face to face.

Everyone has their political biases, you included. I don't see a need to get precious about it, state your opinion and move on to the next topic. I don't get offended by someone with different beliefs to me unless those beliefs are evil and/or criminal. I also don't care if I am heard or represented. I engage in the topics I want and ignore the ones I don't, it's that simple for me. I don't understand someone feeling uncomfortable unless someone is directly calling you out or harrassing you. Some people have too soft a skin these days.

It would seem some of your feathers have been ruffled judging by the tone of your reply. :)

UK Man , not sure I understand. Do you mean that we’d have more responses to each thread if we limited the options by having fewer subforums?

Indeed.

I'm not convinced people are attracted here to seek info on Sport, TV and radio,Science,Tech,Gaming etc.etc.

I think there's a limit to what you can contribute to forums like this due to the main topic. If not enough newcomers join to seek advice/info then you end up with the same group of regulars waffling on about how ruddy awful or brilliant living here is....I'm certainly guilty of doing both depending on how I feel.

The other forum does seem to be busier with more discussion going on. However it's also full of arseholes who are not 'real' expats. Soon as their dollars run out they'll be off!!

This is very interesting, serafina . It brings me to 2-3 questions that I hope our own forum members will take a minute to answer:

1) how many forums/FB groups etc do you regularly read or contribute to?

2) among these, is your affiliation with this forum at the top of your list? In the middle? At the bottom?

And, if you have time:

3) what changes could make you more inclined to be more involved?

I browse five forums most days although I only contribute to one on a daily basis....a pipe smoking forum.

I honestly don't recall being offensive....it's not my style. I may have bluntly told someone what they didn't want to hear but not in an offensive way.

I'm not banned but the site takes forever to load....and when it does I am taken to a different page than the one I wanted. When I use a private window I am able to enter the site instantly. I suspect something's going on so I would rather just stay away.