Posts from Splinter in thread „What are you doing this Christmas and new year?“

... or you could mention that Merkel’s “empty chairs” point applies to ALL gatherings, not just birthday parties.

Thanksgiving Day in the US rivals Christmas as the #1 family gathering holiday. Public health officials implored families not to celebrate together this ONE YEAR, but their pleas were largely ignored. That was 2 weeks ago today, and the undeniable surge in covid cases started showing up about 6 days ago.

serafina has it absolutely right. This decision rests firmly on the comparison of risk vs reward. No matter how small the risk or how wonderful the feast, it is hard to tell ourselves that getting 2 or more household units together is a good decision.

I would be perfectly content NOT to have to go somewhere else for Xmas eve and not just because of health concerns, although that should be the top priority, but clearly isn't to some.

As if just one year would make a diffrrence? But I can hear the refrain already..."It may be mum's last Christmas with us..." etc etc etc.

My thoughts exactly. However, now that we've got the birthday party debacle out the way, how to tackle Christmas and New Year?

I think we'll have to compromise as long as the SIL knows that we're only going if it's her, the hubby and two kids. Not forgetting her mother of course.

After I threw a rather large rock in the pool and watched the subsequent reverberations, they decided to cancel the birthday party which turned out to be for over 25 people plus caterers.

Much relief on our side.

:gandalf:

That could be his new avatar.

:banana-with-kilt-smiley-emoticon:

KitKat was launched in Japan back in 1973 when it was owned by Rowntree, with a production plant later built in the country in 1989. There have been over 300 flavour variants developed since then, including matcha tea, soy sauce and sake.

It's not very clear, but from what I can gather, it's up to ten people at a social event but it doesn't specify whether family or not.

In the end, people should exercise their own common sense. For example, I already made my position clear about Christmas some months ago and I haven't changed my mind, i.e. just the immediate family at the in-law's house as we do every year, which is eight of us. The same group for New Year but at our house.

However, a family member has arranged a 15th birthday party (cancelled from April) at the same location just a week before Christmas to which they have invited over 20 people, plus caterers.

Frankly, I believe this is just irresponsible and the argument seems to be that 'it's in the open air'.

Well fine, but I won't be going and I'm advising the rest of my family not to either.

On the other hand, being Argentina, these things have a habit of turning into a drama, so I'll update this as time moves on.