Posts from Semigoodlooking in thread „Thinking of leaving Argentina?“

Since we live in Argentina only part-time, and have always rented instead of owning, I can’t thoroughly enter this discussion. But I would like to raise this question: would having a better standard of living in another country also cost a lot more? For those earning in € or $ payments, the economic advantages of the weak peso would be lost. (For those earning in pesos, the situation would be quite different, assuming a move would mean earning and living on a different monetary system.)

For me, only this year. It has now become amazingly cheap here as a dollar earner.

Last year and most previous it was more give or take. I don’t come from a city in the UK so I could live a solid life there. For a start, I earn enough to get a mortgage in the UK and have for some time. I moved here at 26 so if I was in the UK now I would be around 8-10 years into paying off my mortgage. It is worth noting my wife owns a house here.

I consider a better way of life meaning more than just money. In the UK there are more things to do, more to see, and most things just function. Whenever I go back I am amazed how smooth everything is compared to here.

It's a weird situation for me. I am thinking of leaving, but ultimately know I cannot. My thoughts are focused on what would need to happen here for me to say enough is enough. I have two teenagers, I think uprooting them now would be terrible and selfish. So, we will endure and it would have to be the worst scenario that would make us leave. For example, if becomes so dangerous, uncomfortable, or politically unstable for us to stay. If I was to leave, it would be more of an escape.

I also admit I am looking at this from a complete position of privilege. My biggest gripe is probably that I simply don't get the level of access and functionality that I got in the UK. Yes, rising crime is a concern but this I am not fearing for my life. The economy is tanking, but I am mostly insulated from those pressures. So, my problem is more about just being able to live the kind of free first-world life that I know is available in the UK.

What's strange about it is there is no doubt we (my family) could have a better standard of life almost anywhere else in Europe, and probably across the border in Uruguay and Chile. None of us really doubt that, but still everybody's life is here. Stability is enough for me, I know Argentina is never going to become anything more than stable. The erosion has gone to far and I don't see how the country could reach its potential without complete breaking it first. I am happy if it just becomes a stable country because I am aware the grass is not always greener on the other side.