Posts from Splinter in thread „Draconian new monetary controls from Wednesday“

25 million is the original price but they got 3 million discount for giving the old presidential plane as part payment.

Not very knowledgable about pricing for second hand 757s - maybe its a good deal....

Considering what the country is going through at the moment, they couldn't have picked a better time. But let's face it, they don't care either way.

Ex economy minister Batakis (less than a month) was seen buying an iPhone at the Apple Store in New York.

She can buy what she likes, but after saying this?

“Cuando uno hace compras en el exterior y esos dólares son los que deberían haber ido al sector productivo, estamos dañando el futuro de todos los argentinos

There are still similar taxes here now that I come to think about it. When I had to apply for a licence to open my first shop in Olivos, I spent a week in the local council - yes, a whole week, sorting out the paperwork.

I had to detail every plug and light socket in the building, for which I was liable to pay a fee for each existing fitting. Naturally I lied through my teeth even when warned that I would be inspected for corroboration of such facts.

That whole week is worth a short story in itself and is a perfect reflection of why this country is on its knees - so many obstacles to being fair and running a business.

Let's not give Alberto any ideas...

The Window tax was abolished in England and Wales on 24th July 1851.

'Daylight robbery'

The Window Tax was first introduced in 1696, during the reign of William III, when Britain was burdened with expenses from The Glorious Revolution of 1688 and the costs of re-coinage necessitated by the miserable 'state' of existing coins, which had been reduced by clipping small portions of the high-grade silver coins. It was levied at two shilling on properties with up to ten windows, rising to four shillings for houses with between ten and twenty windows. It was extremely unpopular and to avoid paying the tax some houses from the period can be seen to have windows bricked-up.

The term 'daylight robbery' is thought to have originated from the window tax as it was described by some as a 'tax on light'.

If you pay through Mercadolibre for HBO, Paramount, Disney and Star, you don't pay the additional 75% taxes.

Take a peek

But it is still only two cans of beer or one cup of coffee for a whole month's worth of music and podcasts. I get it for people who don't listen to music often, but we have become so accustomed to having our entertainment on tap that we think even the US price of $9.99 is too much. I listen to a lot of music from a lot of different bands/singers, so to have all that at my disposal for 463 pesos or 10 bucks is excellent to me. I would also say for the casual user, Spotify's free version is perhaps best.

Netflix is the same, under 2,000 pesos for thousands of shows and movies that are avialable whenever you want them is a bargain, no matter what currency you earn. That doesn't mean everybody can afford it, and it doesn't mean everybody should pay for it. For example, I am considering my future on Netflix because I am simply not using it enough. But I am not going to pretend these services are expensive.

It comes back to the point that Rice mentioned in another thread. We creally are tightening our belts, so anything that isn't used to the full has to be jettisoned.

I do like Spotify, it's brilliant and yes, it's cheap, but when you add it to everything else, it's a question of priorities.

It's the principle of the matter for me. If I can avoid this punishing tax, I will.

The same applies to Netflix, where you have no choice, so our monthly bill for that is $1650 plus 75%. We were going to cancel that but the mother in law and stepson are shared profiles, so we'll have to share the cost.

Netflix will make us pay $219 for additional households from next month just to add to the problem.

I've been subscribing to Spotify through Mercadolibre for the last few months because at AR$280 per month it seemed a good deal. At first I thought that the payment would be in pesos and that would be that, but no.

However, I don't spend all day with headphones on and only really listen to music after a few too many Capt Morgans late at night :)

Anyway, with these horrendous taxes, that $280 becomes $463, so goodbye Spotify thanks to this bunch of fuckers.

I subscribe to XBox Game Pass which is excellent value under normal circumstances, meaning you get to rent games for a monthly fee of US$9.99.

In my case, that's AR$599 which means that Microsoft is probably using location based pricing which is linked to a country's standard of living etc. However, with the draconian taxes imposed here, that shoots up to AR$947.51 as a punishment.