Posts from serafina in thread „US Presidential Elections 2020“

If Argentina could muster a credible opponent to CFK and Kirchnerism, and Argentina had a real chance to rid itself of a regime that is corrupt to the core, how funny would it be if otherwise thinking people sabotaged that candidate by helping K lies about him go viral?

That's a great question and I was just commenting over dinner that the opposition is too scattered: there is Macri who is MIA most of the time, Bullrich who is our iron lady, but too extreme to appeal the moderate fringe of the opposition, Larreta who seems to be the only politician there who is able to mediate and make things happen. However, he is 'just' the City Governor and he isn't definitely being pumped as the next man. Vidal, nice girl, reliable, solid principles, but with not enough political traction to succeed. I still can't explain the terrible results she got in her last election.

Meanwhile, rumors of a summer with electrical cut offs 'Cristins-style' are already in the air...

I no longer vote since leaving my home country, for a number of reasons: 1) I have no plan of coming back; 2) I have no interest there and the limited interest i could have in Italy in the foreseeable future (inheritance) wouldn't change much regardless of who is in command; 3) I no longer pay taxes in Italy, so I don't see why I should have a word on Italian politics; 4) One of the reasons I left Italy is that I couldn't see any chance of positive change in my lifetime, so I stopped following Italian politics. For me, that door is closed.

I understand my home country has only 60 millions people and a limited influence in Europe and worldwide, so I can't really compare with someone voting in the US or the UK. Maybe in that case I would take my vote as the chance to influence worldwide politics, and not just a country's politics.

I can't stand Trump, but as long as his opponent is someone claiming to be against the establishment and looks exactly like someone coming from a privileged position (a white male in his 80s who enjoyed the best America had to offer) I can't see the average American finding himself reflected in such candidate. I have nothing against Joe Biden personally, I am just commenting on the last two Democrats candidates who run against Trump. Very poor choices, if you ask me!

I know that there is more to Biden/Hillary Clinton than them being white and educated, but the average voter doesn't really dig deep into politics and votes based on headlines and the candidate's face.

My American friends are almost resigned to another Trump mandate. Unfortunately, I think Trump is going to be re-elected, just like it seemed impossible that someone would re-elect Bush or Trump in the first place.

My bets are on the orange man!