Posts from Splinter in thread „The effects of lockdown in Buenos Aires“

Fortunately I have one customer for whom I do regular collections and deliveries, that lives in a small gated community where the security blokes now just wave me through with a smile.

A pleasant change from the third degree I usually get put through.

I have a delivery job this afternoon which means I'll be going down Libertador into CABA, so let's see how much stricter the police controls are. I'll report back with my findings, but if you don't hear from me, send out a recce party.

There's something creepy about having so many security services, who are armed to the teeth, checking ordinary people's credentials.

The Corona virus thread has become very spread out and general, so what effects, negative or positive are you seeing or experiencing in BA?

Whilst I haven't really had any problems riding around, taking a walk near the river is like living under a police curfew. In the last three months we've been out for a river walk precisely three times, even though we're not allowed to yet. Yes, that's right, that restriction in the province still hasn't been lifted, although many people are going for walks.

Yet I can go to a crowded supermarket where the risks are much higher than a walk in the fresh air. Today I stopped by the river to take some pictures and within five minutes two motorcycle cops arrived out of nowhere and told me that I couldn't be there, bearing in mind that I was the only person by the river, with maybe two or three other people wandering around over a hundred meters away.

I told them that I felt it was now ridiculous after three months and various other reasons why we should be allowed to take fresh air after so long etc etc. So I said fine, I'll move along in a minute, to which I was told that if I didn't move along I would need to accompany them to the police station. They were quite emphatic, very firm and insisted that I no longer remain.

Try as I might I couldn't reason with them, so I head back towards my bike a few yards away, only to find that one of them was following me, so I stopped and asked him why he was following me. He said that he wouldn't leave the area until I had left. In fact, once on the bike, they both followed me to make sure I would dash back to the river's edge.

I was pretty fucking annoyed, to tell the truth. I also didn't fancy wasting another three or four hours answering a charge at their police station, but the logic of all this now escapes me.

You can walk down the road (there are too many people to arrest all at once) but you can't stand by the river, because police cars, police tape and bikes are blocking your way.

Figure that one out.