Posts from ben in thread „Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House“

A couple points:

Firstly, in the tech/design industry, Anil Dash is fairly well known as an irreverent but thoughtful figure. He has more than a few thought-provoking pieces under his belt.

Secondly, I am not sure what you mean by asking whether "his comments on whites could be seen as anything other than 'the idea that they can be ranked as inferior or superior'". He was making exactly the opposite point. He referred to differences between the "success" of Asian-Americans and white Americans to make the point that this kind of discourse is not acceptable. The thread started with a conditional: If Asian Americans talked about white Americans, the way whites talk about black folks. The point being - you shouldn't.

Is your point that whites don't often refer to blacks in with a subtext of under-achievement and crime? They do. Hell, I do. The point about Asian Americans was simply to put a new twist on that - that there is a group that beats whites at their own game, so to speak. With the point being, explicitly, that that game should not be played.

All things being relative, the case could be made that in Norway, the US could be considered one of those "shithole countries."

This tweet thread puts it kinda well.

This was his Sean Spicer inauguration moment. And you better believe he knew it.

He was reading off a script,

Today I was translating a survey for a big media company in the United States (I do not know if the survey was designed by a US firm, though) and it asked about the respondent's last vacation destination. The list started as follows:

• Europe
    • North America
    • South America (including Mexico)

[...]

One day, the world will be know as 'above the [Mexican] wall' or below...

The thing that makes this super-stupid is that there already is a term for South America + Mexico: Latin America.

Could have simply listed Europe; US/Canada; Latin American without any problems at all.

When I was a kid, a Canadian TV station said something like, "Tune in to (network's name) for full coverage of all aspects of Chrismas, including Hannukah".

The BBC reports that Trump's lawyers are now trying to get the book's publisher to cease and desist from publishing. In other words, they want it banned, which of course will only quadruple its sales.

Has Trump lost his mind?

Indeed, it seems so. Say what you will about him, he was an absolute genius at manipulating the media. This reaction of his is plainly just visceral.

The aftershocks of this thing are the most interesting. For example, the "I'm a very stable genius" bit:

CFK: Any way to make a bigger fool of myself than declare myself an "abogada exitosa"?

DJT: Hold my beer.

Then there's this interview of Stephen Miller with Jake Tapper. Not to be missed. You could make a psychology class of observing his face.