Posts from UK Man in thread „Future international flights“

Apparently it was flying full.

But nobody was paying.

It was all staff on deeply discounted tickets.

Indeed....even British Airways operated like that in the last century. Their staff were on very generous pay and conditions under Government ownership. When the low cost carriers appeared on the scene the party was over.

Another reason for high inflation. It's the customer who ends up paying.

Not so much the subsidies , aficionado . They keep throwing money at a loss making operation who have a pile of Campora guys in exec positions , getting big salaries and doing feek all.

With no government money FlyBondi and JetSmart make money.

Aerolineas Argentinas should be told to operate under the saem rules.

Indeed and the rail network is run along similar lines.....a f'ing joke.

I had to google that. If it is a "nugget" cover, I am happy for you if you wear a XXL.

I've been told custom officers don't know a sporran is used for carrying 'stuff' so they never ask the wearer what they've got in it especially if they're female custom offcers!! ^^

I don't have one but a Medium size would probably do me. :whistling:

We've finally sorted our flights to the UK and are flying out mid August, a brief stop in Madrid, then almost four weeks with family in the UK.

We chose Air Europa in the end as they are significantly cheaper than BA or Iberia, with less luggage restrictions. Also they use the Dreamliner 787 which I flew on with Norwegian a few years ago and it's very comfortable.

The only drawback is that they fly into Gatwick, but that will give us a chance to spend a night in London.

That's something to look forward to. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Have any of you used Lufthansa to get to and from BA? They use the Boeing 747-8 which I've never travelled on. The aircraft is used more for freight and only a few airlines use it as a passenger aircraft.

Yes....years ago in First Class. Even got chaufeur driven to the aircraft steps.

SNC13823.jpg

His wife would need a US visa (obtained by appointment at the US Embassy in BsAs) because she'd be travelling on an Argentinian passport, he'd need an ESTA (obtained online) because he'd be travelling on a UK one - more money, more time!

Not worth the hassle.

We came back from the UK via Canada and the US once but that was to have a stopover for five days. The missus used her UK passport so no need for a visa.

I wouldn't fancy doing it just to connect though, Far too long a journey especially in economy.

When I returned home in May on Iberia I didn't book and pay for a selected seat in economy as I was considering buying a last minute upgrade if it was offered to me. Anyway that didn't materialise and I ended up with a window seat. I guess it could have been worse and ended up in a middle seat.

When Iberia flew the A340 on the Ezeiza route it had a 2-4-2 configuration in economy. We used to nab the 2 seats at the window. Great to know you couldn't get a stranger sitting beside you. Not sure if they still use the A340 on the route though.

We're struggling to find flights to London for less than US$1800 at the moment and that's bog standard economy. On some greedy airlines (they all are) you have to now pay extra to choose your seat, take baggage for the hold of 23kg and whatever other shite they can think of.

We currently have two people who work at different travel agencies looking for us.

Well I've been looking at flights to Glasgow around October. As I have lots of flexibility dates don't really matter. On the BA site I saw lots of flights in Biz class for £3500 return which I think is pretty damn good considering.

Yep, Royal Doulton china, silver cutlery, chateaubriand steak and a cake trolley. And that was in Economy!

Happy days. Flew on Air China a few times back in those days and their economy product was very good. The flights used to be half empty which gave you lots of space. Cheap as chips as well especially during winter time.

I’ll go back farther than that! In the late 1990’s, there were no luggage restrictions at all! We put that to the test once on Delta, when returning from the beach with 6 huge, heavy boxes full of seashells, and once, when flying on Air France with 10 pieces of luggage. Neither caused anyone to comment.

When I used to fly to/from Canada with Wardair in economy I wasn't charged extra for taking my bike and panniers with all my camping gear and clothes. They didn't even bother at check-in that I hadn't dismantled the bike nor bagged it.

To be fair that was yonks ago and the fare was £500 which probably equates to a tidy sum nowadays.

I don't mind short flights like domestic flights in Argentina (whose airports are very good, imho) or European flights while in Europe. Right now, flying within Europe is like taking a train. I still loathe the flying regulations, especially the various baggage size requirements.

I just wish short haul flying in Europe was as cheap when I was young as it is now. Those long coach,ferry and train journeys were a ruddy nightmare.

As for the long haul. Economy will do on a day flight from Madrd but I detest it on long overnighter's. Especially nowadays as the airlines are far better at selling all their seats.

Personally, I can't see the point in making a lot of fuss about where one sits on a plane. It's only a thirteen hour flight which is absolutely no time at all on the scale of things. Approximately 0.00002 of a lifetime (so far) in my case.

I used to have that attitude. :thumbup: