Posts from serafina in thread „Future international flights“

serafina , as you know, our EZE - US luggage is legendary in its contents. But our empty bags do weigh 4+ kg each. What brand is your 2kg luggage, and is it well made, to last being repeatedly packed to the teeth?

Mine is not branded. I got two (one medium checked, one cabin) in a rundown mall Abu Dhabi for 60 USD and probably came from India. They aren't as sturdy as the fancy ones, but I don't travel much and I don't care if they get a bump or two. They are just item holders!

One thing I don't like much is that the lock is not very sturdy. It is just a combination. And anyone with a knife could tear along the zip. You can use a TSA strap lock for extra hold. I always forget to put on mine, though!

71999GcJMuL._AC_SL1270_.jpg

My set looks like these white ones below, more or less. The ones in the picture below are available on Amazon.com for 134 USD (the set of three). I don't remember the exact weight of mine, I didn't pay much attention when I bought them as I bought them for the look/different kind compared to my old-style extra-sturdy and heavy Samsonite.

My mom gave me that Samsonite for my 19th birthday. It was meant for medium-range trips in Europe. Since moving to Argentina, I got to know the pleasure of larger bags. I didn't buy the largest bag (28") because I wasn't sure it was fit for Europe-Argentina flights. I know that in Asia they have a larger allowance in terms of baggage weight and size. I don't need more volume, as I can pack very tightly. My concern is always the weight.

71GXKZi+9yL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I had only cabin baggage for a 3 month trip!

Those baggage supplements look especially expensive serafina

You're a man, that explains it. :th_giggle01:

Jokes aside, I take back much more than I take away from Argentina. Mosty gifts for friends. I restock in Europe and come back with one extra piece of checked luggage. Last time, I had the genius idea to find a big tennis bag at my mom's and use that. This way, I can fit it in the hard suitcase on my outbound leg. The only drawback is that it is necessary (strongly advisable) to have it wrapped up in plastic at the airport. However, 10-15 EUR in plastic wrap is still cheaper than bringing an empty suitcase from Argentina to Italy or to buy a cheap suitcase in Italy just to fill it up.

To my suprise, I have discovered that the nice sturdy Samsonite suitcase I had been using was weighting 6 kg when EMPTY, which is 25% of the allowed weight in Economy. So I switched to a polycarbonate plastic one, which is barely 2 kg.

We came back from the UK via Canada and the US once but that was to have a stopover for five days. The missus used her UK passport so no need for a visa.

I wouldn't fancy doing it just to connect though, Far too long a journey especially in economy.

How long ago was that? The US require an appropriate visa even for transit, unless you are a US citizen or permanent resident.

As far as I can see booking patterns on routes from EZE to Europe are still high in spite of more services being available expecially on the route to Madrid.

There is a concesus that prices may fall after Easter to the USA.

Splinter , have you looked at connecting via miami or New York?

His wife would need a US visa (obtained by appointment at the US Embassy in BsAs) because she'd be travelling on an Argentinian passport, he'd need an ESTA (obtained online) because he'd be travelling on a UK one - more money, more time!

Not worth the hassle.

Are you flexible on dates, Splinter ? If so, Google Matrixis your friend. The only downside is that they don’t include low cost airlines, so if you have to change planes, you are missing on cheaper inter-Eu flights.

Personally, I don’t mind it because if you buy the whole trip at once, in case of delays on one leg, you get reschedule on a new flight for the second leg by the airline. Otherwise… chicken!

You raise an important point, Bombonera . We used to actually look forward to flights as a fun part of the trip. But that all ended with the stressful airport experience coupled with airlines’ trying to squeeze in as many people as possible while extracting fees for as many things as possible.

But looking forward to the trip, instead of dreading it, certainly should be factored in.

+1 on this one! I took my first plane when I was 18 years old, to fly from Milan to London. It was my high school graduation trip (I was with a friend) and felt part of the jet set, as most of my friends had never taken a plane yet. As I grew up, the plane part of the trip was still exciting but for me the turning point was 9/11 and the added security measures which turned flying into a mastermind of rules and regulations. It all made it much stressful and no fun at all.

Right now, since flying means 13 hours in a can with 200 strangers in the middle of the Ocean where the first land below you on the other side is Sierra Leone, it is no fun at all. I can't avoid to think if they'd come rescuing us or stealing our baggages.

I don't mind short flights like domestic flights in Argentina (whose airports are very good, imho) or European flights while in Europe. Right now, flying within Europe is like taking a train. I still loathe the flying regulations, especially the various baggage size requirements.

Food is abysmal in economy long haul and missing in short haul.

+1. I flew with BA on July/August 2023 and the food was such a disappointment. Provided that I ask for a vegan meal, the regular meal seemed even worse. I think vegan meals are even cheaper than regular ones, so they could put on a bit more effort.

My best meals were on LatAm pre-pandemics.

I am seriously concerned about Argentina becoming isolated like Venezuela. Economically speaking, it is not worth for most airlines since they are calling off flights on a short notice. At the same time, I am not reading concerning news about coronavirus in Argentina to justify such drastic measures.

My mother was surprised that on the Sky news they were giving an update on the limit of incoming passengers from abroad set in Argentina until August 6 (1000 passengers per day). My flight isn't until 8/8 but I am considering extending my flight anyway as summer in Europe with vaccines is glorious compared to the grim winter with bizarre restrictions in Argentina. They really pulled quite a stunt these Peronists, this time.

I get the kirchnerists’ Nacional y Popular social emphasis, but it’s a leap from that to saying that people who travel outside the country hate their country.

The Argentinian narrative is pretty poor in every aspect. The famous GRIETA is across all topics. It's either black or white, no middle grounds. If one is BLACK, the other must necessarily be WHITE.

Those who can't travel are poor, hence those who travel are rich.

Those who can't travel are saving the country, hence those who can are harming the county.

Those who have to wait the govt. to sort out the vaccine are good, those who won't are bad.

With 40% of the population being below the poverty level (which I suppose is pretty low in Argentina), it is not hard to realise that half the country will end up hating the other half.

This article on LN sums it up pretty well: El castigo al “turista”, otro hito de la singularidad argentina di Martín Rodríguez Yebra

El Gobierno vuelve a buscar culpas ajenas a los problemas que le plantea la pandemia; deja miles de varados en el exterior ante la incapacidad de aplicar controles sanitarios efectivos

En lugar de asistencia, los afectados recibieron del Estado una reprimenda: “Preferimos que los chicos sigan yendo a las escuelas y los que se fueron de vacaciones en pandemia demoren un poquito más en volver”, dijo Florencia Carignano, la directora de Migraciones. Al mismo tiempo, se preocupó por difundir una estadística de los motivos que declararon los viajeros cuando salieron del país como prueba de que la gran mayoría lo hizo por turismo.

El Gobierno difundió esta tarde un listado de los motivos declarados por las personas que salieron del país en el último mes donde se consigna que el 60% lo hizo con fines vacacionales. Según la información difundida por la Dirección Nacional de Migraciones, 44.242 son las que salieron del país entre el 28 de mayo y este lunes.

De ese total, 26.528 declararon que la finalidad del viaje era turismo, 6840 (15%) salieron por trabajo, 6273 (14%) por residencia, 2506 (6%) por mudanza, 1308 (3%) por estudio y 787 (2%) con otros fines.

You know, when I was filling in the DDJJ and I had to select the reason for travel, since I was not a on a business trip, nor on a study strip, nor I was moving abroad, the only option left was TOURISM. Now the Government basically closes the frontiers without closing them completely, and then tells that anyway 60% of the affected people were out on a stroll for tourism and they should have known better. But there are people who were travelling for medical reasons that had no other option to select. And also traveling abroad to get a vaccine is a medical reason, if you ask me. It is exactly the kind of money I would spend for a valid reason if I had a health condition and I couldn't get vaccinated where I am.

You have followed my report on planning to travel, traveling and being abroad and you know I took the risk associated with traveling. Not Argentina.

Read also this article with the reactions of Argentinians on Twitter to the 600 cap: https://www.lanacion.com.ar/li…d-de-twitter-nid01072021/

Many really loathe those who travel, they think they are the privileged 1% that would make them slave them if they could. I am kinda annoyed that I should feel guilty for NORMAL stuff I do. Instead, it's their view that it is STILTED. They are being inculcated but this populist government and their acolytes on the web.

And regarding an opposition, the concept is just non-existent in this country although ironically when Macri was in power the CFK mob would not shut up. Now the role is reversed, any peep from a rival and all hell breaks loose.

Curiously, we just wrote there is no opposition and today the government asked the opposition to 'lower their decibels'.

I am also convinced there is no right wing movement in argentina, they are all leftist, some more, some less, whereas Cafiero is convinced they are on a fast lane to an absolutist right regimen. :rolleyes:

Santiago Cafiero acusó a la oposición de hacer "terraplanismo político

"Creo que si la oposición no baja los decibeles y deja y se aleja del discurso del odio, va camino a convertirse en una ultraderecha antidemocrática y minoritaria", sentenció Cafiero durante el informe sobre la marcha del Gobierno que brinda ante el Senado.

It's not just flights this uncertainty and bi-weekly "see how it goes" dance is happening to, it's everything. I still think it is good news for the government for the country to stay in this stagnant limbo to avoid facing the economic realities on even terms.

It looks like the dollar/pesos reality has struck them pretty bad today. Their great move to raise the official dollar of 1% to stimulate the economy has backfired. The official rate went from 79 to 81, and the blue went from 141 to 145. Well done!

Is the opposition demanding information and explanation? Or did they just slink off after the election?

Opposition in Argentina can't do much when they are not in power. They just speak with the press, but have no legal way to stop the government in charge to do what they want.

They just changed the criteria to file the cause of death as coronavirus, and the deaths in the province jumped +30%. Credibility, anyone?

Coronavirus. Buenos Aires cambió el método de registro de muertos y sumó más de 3500: ahora son 12.566