Posts from Rice in thread „Future international flights“

serafina , as you know, our EZE - US luggage is legendary in its contents. But our empty bags do weigh 4+ kg each. What brand is your 2kg luggage, and is it well made, to last being repeatedly packed to the teeth?

We’ll glide in a couple of days later. I’m sorry we won’t come back the same morning, because I’d really love to see you do your “No Speakie Spanish” routine at aduana.

Pity.

Yaaaay! What a great, long visit you’ll have in the UK! And you’ll return to warming, lengthening days in Argentina even as the days are heading in the other direction in the UK. Good timing!

What is your return date? We may coincide.

My sister flew on the Concorde, but I never did. My cousin said what fascinated him most was that every seat was equipped with speedometer, altimeter, odometer, and assorted other dials, and from th moment of takeoff, they were all wildly spinning.

Haven’t flown Lufthansa to Argentina, though the idea of being able to fly a 747 again makes me wish Germany were on the way from New Orleans to BsAs! Loved those planes.

Splinter , if you are completely flexible, you may get better fares by waiting. I know that’s generally counterintuitive, but I am reading that the post-Covid pent-up desire for long-haul flights is ending, and airfares will start settling down after July. Maybe ask the travel agencies you’re working with?

I’ll go back farther than that! In the late 1990’s, there were no luggage restrictions at all! We put that to the test once on Delta, when returning from the beach with 6 huge, heavy boxes full of seashells, and once, when flying on Air France with 10 pieces of luggage. Neither caused anyone to comment.

serafina , don’t get me started on the varying size regulations on luggage! We flew American to Argentina in September, checking 2 bags each and using the same rolling Tumi carryons we always use. Returning on American, we were concerned about the weight limits of our checked bags, which we’d weighed multiple times. But they were fine, and we were breathing a sigh of relief when the agent eyed our carryons and declared that they didn’t meet the size requirement and would have to be checked. We appealed to her supervisor, who was even colder than she.

So using the same carryons we’d used in September, we were forced in December to check them at a fee of $400, and had to physically carry the computers, meds, etc with us.

The overhead bins over both of our seats were empty. And we were further annoyed when other passengers around us boarded with carryons noticeably larger than ours.

You raise an important point, Bombonera . We used to actually look forward to flights as a fun part of the trip. But that all ended with the stressful airport experience coupled with airlines’ trying to squeeze in as many people as possible while extracting fees for as many things as possible.

But looking forward to the trip, instead of dreading it, certainly should be factored in.

Congratulations! I’d wondered how things turned out with Norwegian, who of course should have simply refunded your money. Great that you stuck with it and came out of it with $$$ to reward your effort!

Could the lack of concerning coronavirus news be simply because the government controls what numbers are released? Could the airlines be basing their decisions based on the unreliability of airport/border reopening dates?

As someone with absolutely zero access to meaningful information, but just a civilian who badly wants to get back to Argentina, I have very little information to go on. How soon can I count on a specific flight? Who can tell! For over a year, there have been teasers about EZE being thrown open for a full flight schedule “in 2 weeks.” How can airlines sell tickets and accept freight on a rolling fantasy? Perhaps they will find it necessary to cease operations in EZE for now, but will see profitability in returning in the future?

Or is this simply wishful thinking on my part?

To me, the bizarre thing is, with its rising number of new infections amid other countries’ falling one, that Argentina is restricting inbound passengers.

Barn door: escaped horse?

Not that Argentina is receiving tourists at the moment, but when tourists are able to return, Argentine hotels, restaurants, airlines, taxis, etc will greatly benefit, as in the past. Will the country look down on tourists TO Argentina?