Posts from Rice in thread „ARGENTINA and numbers!“

Imagine the challenges for foreign diplomats stationed in Argentina - they have to fake they are taking them seriously, and even correcting their bogus math.

Now the official 'excuse' is that they mixed up Chile with Peru.... it's like mixing Germany and France when you're Spain!

That is too bizarre for anyone to even politely fake that they are taking this information seriously. How many people in Argentina would confuse Chile with Peru? How many gazelles would confuse a tiger with a guinea fowl? How many pizza lovers would confuse a cheese pizza a la parrilla with a vegetable pizza al molde? (I'm pining away for Los Maestros pizza right now!)

serafina, that agrees pretty closely to what Worldometers.info says, so their information must come directly from the government.

I’d feel a lot better if there were 14,504 tests per million. And far better with 145,040 per million.

Nowadays it's a case of make it up as you go along and the excuses for price increases are very imaginative:

The dollar

Devaluation

Inflation etc etc

These excuses can be humorous as well as frustrating. A couple of years ago, I posted an account of a visit to a verdulería that wasn’t my normal one. No prices posted. When asked the price of lettuce, the vendor sized me up and quoted a price twice that of our regular vendor. Asking him why the price was so high, I was astounded to hear the answer “the exchange rate for USD.” Pursuing this line of reasoning, I asked if the lettuce was, then, imported? He said no, that it was grown in Argentina. “So why does the USD exchange rate affect the price?” No reply.

@JAN , you are so right about the importance of context, relative size, etc. This is why a country’s boasting about their small number of cases/deaths is meaningless unless they have conducted a significant number of tests, per capita.

Upon first glance, Argentina has an admirably small number of cases: 452.4 cases per million population (deaths: only 31.6 per million population). But how many people have been actually tested? Only 1456 per million population. What more could we learn if 75% of the population had been tested? Or half? Or 10%?