Posts from serafina in thread „The general rant.....“

serafina - Yeah, BlackBerry found itself shut out when the touchscreen market took off. The company had built itself on the physical keyboard and consumers suddenly didn't want them. In a move to save itself, BlackBerry obvioulsy decided to do touchscreen phones too. I think the Z10 was the first and at the time the company's proprietory OS was on its knees too. If your father was using a physical keyboard at that time, it would have been the Q10 I think because the Z10 was just touchscreen.

BlackBerry was later sold and is now built under license by Chinese brand TCL. However, the company returned to form with the KeyOne and then perfected it with the Key2. Probably the most user-friendly smartphones on the market. You get the physcial keyboard and touch screen. It's a long device to extending your fingers to the touchscreen above the keyboard is not easy. To over come this, BlackBerry also implemented a touch panel beneath the keyboard so the whole physcial dech is also a touch mouse. I love that phone, but chose not to buy it.

He bought the Z10 which had no physical keyboard because he couldn’t use it anyway. He tried my Torch 9800 and one of his finger hit 2-3 keys at once!

I think the Z10 was their first all-touch and it was top of the line. But it was painful. I felt guilty for years because the poor man spent a fortune (I think €700+) on a phone which was worse than an iPhone, which costed the same!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My best phone ever was a Blackberry Torch 9800. I could type on it without even looking, I could type and walk looking at the street. Its design was sleek, the sliding mechanism was sturdy and classy, the OS was working great. I had to change it because Blackberry OS did not support modern apps.

When my dad decided to buy a smartphone, he asked me for suggestion and I told him to buy a Blackberry Z10, which was the top model back then, with no keyboard because he couldn't hit the small keys with his big fingers anyway. It was painful to use. Windows 8 graphic like, not intuitive at all, not good as an Android phone. Sturdy, heavy. It lasted way too long. He has now bought an iPhone 11, but he uses it only for calls and check mail. He never managed to use a smartphone.

blackberry-torch-9800.jpg celular-blackberry-z10-bb-movsitar-blackberry-z10-impecable-D_NQ_NP_647248-MLA31577696983_072019-F.webp

However, and probably most importantly, smartphone manufacturers are clearly not very interested in putting usability first. If they were, they would not be building massive devices that cannot be used functionally with one hand.

With the iphone you can edit the keyboard to type on it using either hand.

My rant is that the damn thing cannot recognize the language I am typing in automatically, and I keep switching across 4 keyboards all the time. Which is why I usually type from computer and read/watch from iPhone or iPad

onehanded-header-750x400.jpg