Posts from serafina in thread „Coronavirus and the Argentine economy“

Today is another important day in our quarantine because further businesses are allowed to open. However, given the City Governor, Mr. Larreta, decided we are still in the previous stricter phase, it is not clear to me if we can go to these shops or if they are allowed to work closed-door, only.

For example, my husband has been craving some fuggazzeta from La Mezzetta. Their delivery doesn't get to our place, but they posted that you can now go pick the order yourself. I am baffled because I didn't understand that we could out for food so loosely, yet.

https://www.facebook.com/pizzeria.lamezzetta/posts/10158413024708293

They have also announced that this week, some open-air market will open again, albeit with some changes, and public transport resume their normal schedule.

Has anybody any clue?

<woltlab-quote data-author="Semigoodlooking" data-link="https://www.argentinaexpats.org/forum/index.php?thread/2289-coronavirus-and-the-argentine-economy/&amp;postID=21727#post21727"><p><woltlab-metacode data-name="user" data-attributes="WyIxNDIiXQ==">JAN</woltlab-metacode> - No, I can't go through Western Union because my UK bank account was closed last year. I get paid in PayPal and just use NUBI to send it to my Arg bank account. However, NUBI works on the official rate. It was fine until about three months ago, but now it's a disaster to be getting the official rate.</p>
    <p><br></p>
    <p>For example, I sent $1,000 last week and got around 65,000 pesos. If I was getting close to the Blue I would have had over 100,000 pesos. That's a massive difference that it burns me that I am not getting it.</p></woltlab-quote><p>Would you accept a domestic bank transfer in ARS? Maybe <woltlab-metacode data-name="user" data-attributes="WzE5Nl0=">BA home</woltlab-metacode> is interested...</p>
    <p><br></p>
    <p><br></p>
    <p>Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk</p>

Not great per se, but great given the circumstances!

This is how we should spend normally according to my husband. A no-frills existence. 8o

We were lucky enough to have stocked a little in February because the exchange rate was slowly moving, and prices in pesos on the items we wanted to buy were still low.

We bought cat litter and cat food for 6 months, we ordered new kitchen cabinets (we have given a deposit in February to cover for the materials), I ordered a new pair of glasses (paid a 30% deposit, need to pay the rest upon collection but I cannot go to the store because it's in Belgrano and I'd need a permit).

I am not sure I'll actually get to pay what was agreed beforehand... ?(

The dollar may be going up or down against all currencies, but those fluctuations are slight. By contrast, the peso continues to fall so dramatically against the dollar as well as the euro, that the real question has to be “where is the peso going?”

The situation is so dramatic that cuevas have started doing delivery, too. The people couldn't simply sit at home with a stash of worthless pesos.

One of the last rushed before the complete lockdown was indeed to the cuevas to exchange dollars for pesos to cover for expenses during the pandemic.

Last time we exchanged, it was a 83. Current rate would be 112.

In our case, since there is nothing to buy besides food within 200 meters, we have spent so little in the last month that I believe we can finally join the chorus of the 500-USD-a-month-lifestyle in Argentina. And that would be for two adults, considering health insurance (12k pesos) and building expenses (6k pesos).

We have ordered ice cream once, and that was the only treat we had in the whole month. Anything else, I cook it myself. The first three weeks we went out without buying grocery. Now we are buying fresh vegetables once per week because frozen ones are terrible unless they end up in a soup.