Posts from Splinter in thread „Ships and the sea“

Everything you need to know about RMS Titanic is here.

Encyclopedia Titanica
    Titanic facts, true stories, passenger and crew biographies, victim and survivor lists - Complete deckplans and detailed information about the disaster.
    www.encyclopedia-titanica.org

Must admit I'm not a great sailor unless it's flat calm and certainly couldn't hack being in a submarine. My older brother has spent all his 45 years of working life at sea...20 years as a Captain for Chevron. He'll be 66 this year and still works as a master mariner consultant. I guess he can't settle being at home for long periods. I haven't the foggiest why he chose that career as there's no seafaring history in the family.

Did you never fancy following in your fathers footseteps Splinter?

I did at one point, but was let down by my appalling mathematics UK Man . You needed O levels to include maths to enter as a midshipman, but I failed the exam about six times, in spite of private tuition.

Anyway, here's some incredible German engineering precision.

A very interesting article which was short but to the point. It{s often lamented that the Royal Navy is lacking ships and submarines, but a smaller more agile force seems to be the order of the day.