Posts from serafina in thread „Corona virus“

@JAN, you have to go with either option:

1) China lied on the real numbers, in which case it doesn't make sense that China targeted itself with the same magnitude as other countries.

2) China did not lie on the numbers, and hence China did a smaller scale experiment in China, to mix waters and come out as a victim instead of a perpetrator OR China exported a deadlier version of the virus.

Anyway, it seems that in many countries, health experts have analysed the virus and confirmed it is not lab-made.

This article on Yahoo is going to shake more than one country...

I agree, @JAN. Most of us will get it, eventually, and one fourth of infected people won't even realize they had it because they had no symptoms or very mild symptoms that did not allow to identify the disease exactly by mere observation. If it was possible to test us (paid testing), I would do it. I also think that private testing should be used to fund public testing.

But it also seems that for now it is not clear if you get immunity once you have recovered, or if there are different mutations with different strength and if you recovered from a mild form, nothing forbid you to succumb to a more aggressive form.

I do it compulsively and I’ve been doing it for the last 20 years. I managed to keep it down for the first week, but anxiety and stress (due this whole situation) actually made it worse.

In the US, a company is selling a bracelet that vibrates when your hand touches your face. It was thought for dermatillomania patients and it’s now sold out, of course!

The only things that occurred to me is to wear a scarf so that if I have to scratch my bottom half face, I can do it with no skin to skin contact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you ever thought for a moment that they are doing what they can, given the resources available?

Argentina is not Africa, in terms of resources, and we are talking about a quite inexpensive test (an article talked about 3000 ARS).

There are also several methods of testing but the one currently used is the PCR one, which has its limits, which is why you need to be re-tested in 24 hours and there is a 20% rate of false negative tests. However, PCR is a well established testing method, and as confirmed by the article I posted yesterday, Malbran was not the only lab equipped to carry out the testing but the government decided to do limit testing to public facilities and to Malbran, and later extended to other public labs.

Calling the quarantine was the right thing to do, but it can't stop at this. Now that we've stopped, what are they doing to control the spreading, aside from stopping cars and motorcycles to check the DDJJ? They are not testing people on the move, as far as I know.

Staying put and giving money to the population won't take the virus away. Not even free cable and free food keep people indoor.

"Acá ya tenemos transmisión comunitaria. Lo preocupante es que estamos detectando muy pocos. La sensación es que tratan de aplanar la curva a fuerza de no tener números y de dar números que no son comparables con otras partes del mundo".

Según científica del Conicet, el problema principal es la poca cantidad de jugadores que intervienen en la contención de la pandemia. "Todo se centralizó en el Malbrán, a pesar de que había laboratorios privados que podían hacer las pruebas, que incluso tenían los equipos para hacerla y que también estaban comprando los insumos". Y disparó: " Vino una directiva del ministerio de Salud que le prohibieron a los proveedores venderles a esos laboratorios para que Malbrán tenga el control. Después se iban a habilitar 35 laboratorios más públicos. Parece que acá lo importante es que sean públicos", dijo Pitta.

[...]

"Sin datos no se pueden tomar decisiones y en este momento no los tenemos y perdimos un tiempo valioso. La medida de la cuarentena estuvo correcta pero al mismo tiempo había que apurar el tema de descentralizar los testeos.

I’d be curious to know: how many tests have been done so far? How many people are in ICUs due to the virus right now?

I am only seeing confirmed cases and deaths. Are the military tent/ hospital camps being used? Are ICUs full? Are there ventilators missing anywhere, already?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Btw, I'm following the numbers of the infected world wide on the worldometer website.....Spain just passed by China and USA are having nearly double as many as China, 160.000.....loco!!!!

It's as clear as day that China lied. They lied on the covid-19 severity, they lied on the number of infected people, they lied on the number of deaths. They are probably lying also on the 'resumed life as usual' news. They want to scare America by letting them think they have an advantage now because they are already out of it.

I really have no empathy nor pity for them. And I don't think 'it's cultural' is a good enough justification for all their wrongdoings. If they don't values lives, wither those of their fellow citizens or those of citizens of foreign country, it is not cultural. It's inhumane!

Yesterday we watched a documentary on Netflix that told the tale of the Chinese car glass manufacturer Fuyao who decided to re-open a GM plant in Dayton, Ohio. His idea of work is closer to that of slavery. He managed to have no Union. People worked in dire and unsafe conditions for less they did under GM (14 USD vs 23 USD per hour). The Chinese of the company made fun of American because they have 8 days off per month and work 8 hours per day, whereas they have 1-2 and work on 12-hour shift.

the pigeon that brings the newspaper out to UK Man was delayed.....

I finally convinced my husband to take advantage of the 26 pesos per month deal on La Nación digital edition. 14 quarantine days of attempts and he gave in. Bloody Scrooge!

<woltlab-quote data-author="Semigoodlooking" data-link="https://www.argentinaexpats.org/forum/index.php?thread/2225-corona-virus/&amp;postID=20494#post20494"><p>What's the situation with PedidosYa in terms of restaurants. How many are open and delivering?</p>
    </woltlab-quote><p>I have no idea because we rarely order takeout food anyway, and given the circumstances we have more time to cook and decided to limit exposure to external people/goods as much as possible.</p>
    <p>But I can hear people delivering to my neighbors all the time. Also Glovo is flourishing since on Glovo you can order any kind of good, not just food. Since supermarkets have long waiting times to delivery groceries, most people find a guy on Glovo and send him/her to the supermarket for them.</p>
    <p><br></p>
    <p>I am on the fence on how ethical this is: they are taking all the risks and are working just because they cannot afford not to, which is exactly what would happen if the lockdown is lifted. Those who HAVE TO work, will take all the risks.</p>