Posts from UK Man in thread „Learning Spanish in Argentina“

I'm not an outgoing type person so tend to avoid situations where I have to converse. When people talk to me quickly I give up and don't like asking them to repeat.

It's annoying but I try not to worry too much about it. We also have some friends who are fluent in English.

My Spanish was awful when I came to stay here 12 years ago and has hardly improved.

Why is that I hear you ask? Truth be told I couldn't be bothered learning it as my wife is fluent in English. Early on I did go to a teacher for some one to one tuition but she always chose spoke to me in Spanish rather than English so I hadn't a clue what she was on about. She was obviously a troubled lady as shortly after I last saw her she sadly committed suicide.

I don't have to interact much with the locals as my wife does most of that. Which is probably a good thing especially on the business side....as nothing here is done normally I'd end up losing the plot anyway. My best mate and I understand each other fine. Mother in law can talk the hind legs off a donkey so I don't get the chance to say much to her.