Posts from Rice in thread „Living here teaches you not to take things for granted“

I appreciate that when I have to visit a public office, I won't be attacked by aggressive public employees and that I won't be accused or addressed with an accusatory tone because 'by default' you are considered a criminal trying to cut corners.

I also appreciate that I am not discriminated for being a foreigner, which is something that has happened to me a number of times while I was in Italy. :cursing:

You were considered a foreigner even after living in Italy your whole life, serafina ? What makes a person there a “real” Italian, having 6 generations of one’s family born there? Having a last name that ends in a vowel?

To someone growing up in the New World, such a medieval kind of thinking surely must be considered an almost comical conceit on the part of “real” countrymen.

Just tonight, we were talking about people, including police, not being fixated on letter-of-the- law enforcement. I grew up in a place where you got a ticket if the front of your car extended an inch into the yellow line zone. Here, we saw a car being towed only after it was parked entirely in a yellow curb zone for the entire weekend.