Posts from Splinter in thread „You should've enjoyed Miami while it lasted.“

There are few countries in the world where the US dollar is appreciated more than Argentines do because of a total lack of faith in their own currency. I wouldn't even wipe my arse with it, frankly.

Make the Argentines realise? Teach them a lesson? You really do come out with some bullshit Jan.

People have been accepting what has been available to them and if that's been a fake dollar, so be it. The Argentine people don't control the currency, but have been let down time after time after time.

I hardly think people are saying "Oh, look at this lovely exchange rate. But it's not right and I wish they'd give me the real rate which is double and will make my life twice as bad!"

No one is trolling you. We're just trying to get our heads around an enormous tax that's being introduced based on a lie. The lie being that they want to encourage local tourism. Complete bullshit.

We're back to 2011 now, only worse. Remember when you had to show your air ticket and complete a tax return just to get $50 spending money? To prove you could justify the puny amount of $$ they would allow you?

And it will get worse, with lie after lie compounded, while the legislators wallow in impunity, tax-free salaries and massive expense accounts. Not to mention access to as much foreign currency as they desire.

Also, we don't need a lesson here on how foreign purchases are made. Any idiot knows that Netflix et al only get paid in USD, just like any other card payment on a foreign service.

The argument you're trying to put forward is that now, with 30% on top, we're paying what we really should have been paying all along and that somehow we've been getting it good. And who's fault is that? Ours?

How about last year, when some of us were in Europe and the peso devalued like a fucking stone through no fault of ours and we had to stop using our cards?

Yes, it's directed at Argentines who have damn cheek to buy air tickets, Netflix, hotels abroad, car hire and all the other things that in the rest of the world are taken for granted without even a second thought.

Talking from a position of having funds outside Argentina is all very well and cosy, but the majority of Argentines and yes, thousands of expats, don't have that luxury.

Yet again the middle classes, not to mention the farmers, are being punished for expecting a little more out of life than simply living and struggling in this asylum, just to get a taste of what the real world looks like over there in Shangri-La.

In fact, my calculations were incorrect.

My second stay at Miami is US$1000, but is really US$1300 which now includes the 30% surcharge, so the final amount on my CC is AR$81,900, where previously it would have been AR$63,000 - a difference of AR$18,900.

The higher figure bringing the rate up to US$=AR$82, if I'm not mistaken.

So, somehow @JAN is giving us the argument that we've all been defrauding the state at AR$63, living like kings and now we've been found out, so we have to pay the real cost.

I still don't understand the argument here.

The 30% tax is applied when using a credit card for purchases in any foreign currencies and it just so happens that the USD is the currency most of us buy stuff with and which the card companies deal in - hotels, car hire, Netflix etc etc.

So, in October I pay for a hotel in Miami for US$1000 and let's say the official rate in Oct was $63 (for the sake of argument) and when that bill reaches my credit card for payment, the amount I pay the card in pesos is $63,000, with no government surcharge.

In what way am I being subsidised? Because the card company is using the official rate of $63 and not the CCL? Because the dollar is being held artificially low?

Today I go back to Miami and stay at the same hotel, costing US$1000 but with the 30% surcharge it now costs me US$1300 and using the tourist dollar rate of $82, my credit card final bill will be AR$106,600.

That's a difference of AR$43600 which, according to @JAN , is the price we should have been paying all along because previously, the government and the tax payer have been subsidising us for having the brazen cheek for wanting to have a holiday in Miami.

Is that the argument?

It's now confirmed that the tax on overseas spending is a punitive 30%, non-reclaimable.

https://tn.com.ar/economia/dol…-finalmente-de-30_1018626

La cotización para el turista, con el impuesto de 30%, sería entonces de $82, tomando como referencia el precio del dólar de este viernes, de $63,07. Si un turista hiciera una compra con tarjeta de 200 dólares, en lugar de tener que pagar en pesos $12.614, debería abonar en su resumen $16.400.

El impuesto alcanzará no solo a los gastos que se produzcan en el exterior, sino también al pago de servicios y compras online que se efectúen desde el país y que requieran el envío de divisas al extranjero. Estarían así incluidas las facturas de Netflix, Spotify y Airbnb, por caso, y las compras vía Amazon o sitios web similares.

Even that I'm totally against any currency control, I actually think it's not that unfair........ never understood why the state needed to subsidize peoples holiday with USD at a fake rate! Beside that, many of the ones that love mayamey, is peronchos and corrupt politicians

Jan, this is yet another tightening of the screw by a new government that will prove equally inept as the previous one.

It's like being stuck in a fucking time warp.