Posts from Rice in thread „House cleaners“

By our rental agreement, we are responsible for regularly having a cleaning person. While I love the transformation of the apartment’s floors from dull to dazzling, with under-furniture dust bunnies vanquished, still, I somewhat dread the approach of cleaning day. This is principally because we have to hang around until she arrives, to let her in, then leave whatever we’re doing to dash back at the time we think she’ll be finished, the end time usually being up to an hour after we hurried back to let her out.

UK Man , she charges $200 pesos an hour, for approximately 3-3.5 hours, but we give her extra because of the time she must spend on the bus to get here.

I would never fault house cleaners we’ve had, about being hard working. They leave this place sparkling, too.

But leaving after rinsing out the floor mop in the sink where food preparation is done is not a good practice.

Well, I can’t top THAT one, Splinter ! But I do have a question.

Do people who clean the house normally complete the job by mopping, then cleaning out the mop and cleaning cloths in the kitchen sink, which then is not disinfected or even surface cleaned?

Although we have a laundry/utility sink just steps away from the kitchen sinks, it is always the kitchen sinks they use for the dirtiest job - and then leave it as is.

After seeing a leaner do that years ago, I’ve routinely disinfected the sink after cleaners leave, and I’ve made a point of looking when new cleaners finish mopping. It is always the same.

I’m grateful to have people better at cleaning than we, tackle the windows, bathrooms and floors. But I’m now distrusting of the actual cleanliness of that sparkling kitchen, and am compelled to follow up when they leave.

Is “mucama” a slightly pejorative term, unlike “maid” or “housekeeper” or “criada?”

Or is it simply the local word, not loaded?