Posts from serafina in thread „Where to change dollars in Blue market?“

Remember in another place far, far away and long, long ago, when someone asked if the dollar would ever reach $20?

Everyone scoffed and said no chance!

I was actually thinking I should start taking bet on when the pesos will hit 100. 2020? 2021?

In order to make this interesting, to win you need to guess month AND year. Ready, steady... go!

How often is the blue rate updated?

I am checking on Ambito financero, and they have updated their rate at 12:45PM only.

Currently, ambito says the blue dollar is 71,50 - 76,50.

I thought it got updated at least when banks open (10AM), mid-day (12-1PM) and at closure (3PM).

I have bills to pay and I wanted to exchange on Tue, but I thought it would go up and waited... and it has gone down two pesos.

Edit: ambito was updated at 16:05 and no change in the exchange rate.

There are some expats on FB who write on a post their need, and then find a match by browsing the previous posts. I tried it once with a guy who wanted to sell his pesos for my GBP through TransferWise, but he didn't want to meet halfway the official rate (back then, there was no blue). Instead, he wanted to give me a slightly worse Azimo rate because 'he was doing me a favor'. I told him I exchanged with relatives(friends meeting halfway and that the whole point of exchanging peer-to-peer is exactly to bypass the fees!

I guess I've been a victim of the so-called European-supremacists. :fire:

The best explanation we’ve ever had when a creased bill was rejected (bills with any writing or marks of any kind are also snubbed), was that they couldn’t take anything that the Central Bank might not accept, potentially leaving them stuck with damaged currency.

So the black market mayoristas exchange dollars at the Central Bank?

It doesn't sound like a clever move at all. :/

Yesterday I went to the small PagoFacil-WU that opened recently nearby to exchange USD. The rate was not that great (66) and the lady wanted to exchange for even less (65) because my note was not as white as Alberto's fake teeth.

I told her that 100 USD is always 100 USD outside of Argentina, and that it was nonsense. Last week she wanted to exchange for less because I had an older note with the smaller Ben's head, this week it was because it was yellowish. She said it is not her who is fussy "Es el mayorista que los paga menos". I told her that until last year no one was being fussy about bank notes, and that this nonsense is taking off only because they are allowing it, and that elsewhere they aren't fussy about my USD.

I told her I needed also to pay a bill at the PagoFacil counter, but that since she exchange just 1x $100 note, I had not enough money to do it and that I needed to go back home to take a whiter bill. I disappeared for an hour, my husband got very angry at the whole thing and told me we'd drive to another exchanger (the usual place on Scalabrini we all know - Rice) and that I shouldn't let her win, otherwise she'll become even more fussier because she knows I go home and bring there my best notes.

At the other place, about 7 blocks away, they gave a close look to our bill USD but my husband didn't flick an eyelid and got 6600 ARS in exchange. We will never know if they gave him 66 instead of 67 or if they gave him 66 regardless. Some questions are better left unanswered...

I then went to the first place to finally pay my bill, and the lady didn't even mention where I had gone to exchange the money. I hope she realized she lost a customer... considering I am a foreigner, she should've been clever enough to recognize me not only as a repeat customer but also as an advertiser among my foreigners' circle. I am upset because I realized I have several notes that are yellowish, much more than I'd like to.

Meanwhile, we lost about 1 hour of our time just to deal with the most basic things... I am starting to get fed up with the whole amount of energies one has to invest to carry out the smallest things of life here.

Not taking things seriously seems to be the way this country is run.

The wife is just back from the Renault dealership where the car still sits in the same place waiting to be repaired....been there for days. When she asked when they would start they replied ''don't know it'll soon be Christmas''. :rolleyes:

Always better than ‘Why do you need the car anyway?’ 🤣

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyway the amounts we are talking about here, I think is reasonable harmless and of no interest to the authorities.

The amount is of no interest, but the information that you have potentially undeclared accounts abroad is.

I have no intention to pay Argentina a yearly tax for having to keep my savings away from their draconian and unreliable banking system, especially if these are savings from my work done abroad before even moving to Argentina, on which I was already taxed abroad.

I just sent a transfer from my Glasgow account and got 94.5 to the Pound.

Can you please expand a little?

Do you have to bring in paperwork to WU to be able to collect the money?

Is there a restriction based on residency/citizenship?

I have never used WU, but I was always told to never send money to yourself from your accounts abroad as it involves loads of paperwork on the origin on funds.