Posts from aficionado in thread „What's for lunch/dinner today?“

We used some frozen beef bone stock. It was from a past all day simmer of chiquizuela (beef knee bones and cartilage) to be ready for quick soup nights like tonight. So it was soup with garbanzos, the last cherry tomatoes, chard, the random veggies in the bottom bin, with yesterdays leftover barley and rice.

Do you use 100% of this or do you mix it with regular 0000 flour?

We use only that. Plus dusting with organic whole wheat later when it needs to be handled, since it is high hydration.

Something like this, but skip the generic yeast ingredient. Use discarded starter or fresh.

Sourdough Starter, America’s Rising Pet (Gift Article)
    Adopt it, feed it, even name it. You’ll be paid back in lofty doughs and pungent breads.
    www.nytimes.com

Also, I’m envious that you have to watch for over-proofing. My only complaint about our bread is that it doesn’t consistently rise as much as it should.

I understand the whole wheat has higher gluten properties which is a reason for the faster proof. The over-proofed looks deflated before starting to cook, resulting in a no-rise dense bread loaf. We have the same issue other times when what seemed like good dough, it just does not rise. Other times it is airy and perfect.

What find of flour should I use?

Our starter is Rye centeno since when we began I read it was easier. We have had other offshoots refreshed with whole wheat though never kept up the desire to maintain a second starter for very long.

We use the organic whole wheat found at most dietéticas for our toast recipe. I am sure it varies. They are probably all high in protein. It is more difficult in summer since it over-proofs fast. If there is room in the fridge that helps to slow it down. I know our bread is not super compared to others, but there are too many recipes and techniques to attempt a change in our weekly habit. Occasionally I will experiment with a one time recipe.

For pizza we use this non-integral brand from the market. 12% protein and they say designed for masa madre breads. There is at least one other similar designed for masa madre brand found in the market.

Just realized that I never answered your sourdough (masa madre) questions, serafina . First, regarding level of care: not daunting at all.

I agree, keeping a sourdough starter alive and ready for recipes is simple. We have had the same one going for 10+ years. It takes 5 minutes to discard a part and refresh it once per week. That newly fed jar sits on the counter overnight to be used to start a bread recipe the next day. Then the jar goes back into the fridge for a week. We mainly make 2 loaves, once per week for our morning toast. Occasionally a 15-24hr pizza dough.