Posts from Rice in thread „What's for lunch/dinner today?“

She’s got great genes, to have metabolism fast enough to keep her slim!

We LOVE pizza, but can’t let ourselves have more than one slice. Left to my own devices, I could devour a whole pizza.

aficionado , I think it’s impressive that you have found bread recommended for masa madre. I’ve never even found that in the vast US supermarkets.

Also, I’m envious that you have to watch for over-proofing. My only complaint about our bread is that it doesn’t consistently rise as much as it should.

What we noticed 33 years ago when we started making sourdough bread was that the bread is good, but the toast is sublime!

We use regular flour. Bread flour gives a finer texture, but part of the appeal of sourdough bread to us, is the rough, country bread texture.

Until we scored the 1890 Norwegian starter in BsAs, we’d been using one we got in Alaska in 1991, also good. But the bread made with the Norwegian starter is noticeably tastier.

We like to cover our starter container with cheesecloth and put it on a windowsill or outside, to collect wild yeast, which of course is unique to each location. Not really sure we can taste a difference, but it’s fun to fantasize about it!

Just read this article today, written by a bread maker and sourdough expert. I think it is interesting, even for all with no interest in baking bread of any kind.

Extra incentives! Free article with no paywall, AND it’s both non controversial and non taxing of the little grey cells!

Opinion | What Sourdough Taught Me, in the Pandemic and Beyond (Gift Article)
    When the world around us stops making sense, I find comfort and clarity in bread.
    www.nytimes.com

I must admit I have never dared to use sourdough. The level of cares it requires sounds quite daunting. I already have a husband to tender to, I don't need also bacteria that need regular care and love. :th_giggle01:

If you are using solely sourdough, I am not familiar with it and I don't remember if you can use the sourdough directly or if you should make a starter with it, and only afterwards incorporate the flour and the other ingredients.

Just realized that I never answered your sourdough (masa madre) questions, serafina . First, regarding level of care: not daunting at all.

When you’re not using it, keep the starter in the fridge, in a non-metallic container with a tight-fitting lid. If you plan to make bread or pizza crust in the coming days or week, take the starter out of the fridge and leave the container at room temperature, each day adding equal parts flour and water (adjusted for viscosity until a bit thicker than pancake batter). You will see the starter ‘come to life’ a little more every day, with fermenting bubbles and a gorgeous yeasty smell.

When you aren’t going to be using the starter, simply return it to dormancy by returning the container to the fridge. See? Not as demanding of regular care as a husband!

As for using sourdough alone for a bread, I’ve never heard of that (although you can make fabulous pancakes by building up the starter to the volume you need, and using solely that with eggs, oil, etc.). The bread recipe we’ve used for 33 years uses a cup of starter along with 2.25 cups of flour, along with the other ingredients.

We make 2 or 3 loaves each week, so we keep the sourdough at room temperature most of the time, keeping it ‘fed’ each morning. My brother makes it far less often, so his starter is dormant until he pulls it out and starts building it up for a specific use.

Agree with all the variables you mentioned. But I’m still having poor luck with proper pre-bake risings.

I think we definitely need a pizza session when I get back. With tall, delicious copas of Malbec, por supuesto.

The barter system seems to be emerging. An excellent development.

serafina , your pizza looks divine! I need to try your technique. My breads aren’t rising as they should (and the yeast is new). Perhaps I should let them proof longer?

BTW, that 1890 Norwegian sourdough starter I got from Local Pizza on Gorritti is fabulous.

serafina , have you ever shopped at La Monumental, on Paraguay, esq Araoz? I’ve stopped going to the smaller corner shops that don’t post prices, and nearly always go to La Mon, which posts prices, gives receipts with everything, and has mid-afternoon deliveries of fresh produce. If you go around 5 pm, there is no crowd and you get first pick of everything.

The light ones are SO good.

When we get back, I’m going to blow up like a balloon, because I’ll be having medialunas, pizza, choripan, bife de lomo, and miga sandwiches. and that’s just in the first day!

Edit: oh, and empanadas! How could I have forgotten?