Posts from serafina in thread „Why teachers aren't paid fairly around the world“

Replacing a light bulb is about as far as I'll go when it comes to anything electric....especially here.

I did some electric work on our place, very small stuff like fitting sockets to my liking, and I bet I have swore more in those two days than in my entire life.

Oh, and the trick of taking a picture of the installation before disconnecting the wire is barely usale, since in Argentina all cables have the same color. So it is really a trial-and-error process to see which connections won't fault the whole system.

And the ground cable can be black in one socket and green in the next one, or blue! Or brown!

I decided my life was worth more, and if it wasn't that electricians are so hard to get by, I'd have entirely given up by now.

I kill the bastard if something goes wrong, HE IS responsible!!! (Just kidding).

For this special part, I needed a certified and registered one .....he made like a 5 pages report about everything, how many groups, loads, cables and and and, quite detailed.......and that from a distance!

But is it at least correct, or has he a standard report valid for any installation? I can see a new market for a photoshop electric artist: he creates a compliant cabling out of your crappy meters, and then you can send the photoshopped picture to Jan’s certified electrician! 😂

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our electrician is always hard to get hold of he's so busy....so is our plumber come to think of it. Both seem to do very well for themselves. I asked the wife if tradesmen like them have to be officially registered as qualified given they're tinkering with stuff that could kill you if done wrong. She just looked at me.....

Don't ask if you are afraid of the answer!

Then private tutoring is the way to go -

It seems outrageous that a teacher would have to take a second job just to be able to afford to keep the first job.

Here in Argentina, a lot of people have to work multiple jobs to keeps their head over water. I find this very discouraging!

I used to think that if a job can't pay your bills, the it is not a job. But here the phenomenon is so extensive that it would be like having so serious job. The economy here is too messed up.

I remember seeing this interview to a Spanish primary teach earning 2100 euros per month, after 26 years on the job.

I think in Italy high school teachers are paid around 1600 euros, on average. At the beginning they get €1350, up to €1900 at the end of their career.

But it is hard to get a permanent job in the public school system, and private schools are not very common in Italy, so there is not much of a parallel market. It is very common to offer private classes to high school students, especially in math, biology, Latin. These can be paid from €15 per hour (if taught by a University student) to €30 per hour, if taught by a high school teacher with a lot of experience in bigger cities like Rome or Milan.

Just did a quick search on internet regarding housing percentage of your income....saids it should be round 30%!!!

That number would be total impossible in Copenhagen for sure!!!! (As a teacher, not as a CEO!!!)

Average public teacher salary 30.000 DKK, round 4000 USD gross......but in DK u have huge tax burden, so u would end up with round 2000-2500 USD! Remember, the living costs in DK would be A LOT more than here!!!

30% for rent is standard advice from finance advisors. Personally, I was spending 25% of my income in Italy on rent, but I lived in a small town (10,000 inhabitants) and I was also working in another small town of the same size, but for a large company with HQ in Milan, so I think I was earning more and spending less.

What didn't cut the deal for me was that utilities were extremely expensive, especially heating. At least one month salary per year was spent in gas for heating and we were constantly adjusting the house temperature. Of course, heating was on only when we were home, we scheduled for it to start about 30' before we came back home, but if we stopped to grocery shop on our way back from the office, that was an hour of wasted heating.

We also kept it to a minimum.

Now I am under the heating fan set at 24°C. I feel spoiled. :asswave:

I also eat more greens here, because they are SO affordable. In Italy veggies are expensive, especially those sold in small stores. I shopped at LIDL and Penny, which are two discount chains, but they don't carry the same selection (nor quality) as standard supermarkets.

I am not sure if this is a thing of Argentina and my home country, which are incidentally two countries that pay very little their teachers, so I am interested to hear your stories.

Are teachers paid fairly in your home country? Can they live on their salary?

I am aware that a lot depends on where you live (urban/rural location) and what kind of spender are you, but I am surprised to hear of a friend, who is a teacher in a bilingual school (26 hours a week) and gives private classes on the side, who cannot live here.

He says he cannot afford to rent where he is currently living (San Isidro) and even less to support his family, as his partner is unemployed.

I have no idea of how much he actually earns - I guess around 40,000 ARS per month, which was roughly 1000 USD before the PASO and now 700 USD. He gets health insurance through his employer, so that one less expense.

To me, it doesn't seem an utterly low wage for Argentina. Algo no me cierra.

Anyway, I am pretty sure that teachers working in public school earn half of that or 60% of that amount. So, why do we treat our teachers so badly?