Posts from Splinter in thread „The Argentine education system“

When we lived out in Nordelta, Adri had to get up at 6 am so that she could get her son to school at 0730 every day and I always thought it was a crazy time of day to start school.

9 to 4 seems much more civilised.

....I was lucky though. I didn't open my shop till 10 am, so i could have a lie-in.

Now, here I am told the teachers are addressed as 'profe' and students use the 'vos' and slang to talk with them. I have heard multiple reports of teachers being hit with coins or paper balls when they turn they back to write on the blackboard. If they complain with the school principal, they are told to not give their back to the classroom. If they object that they need to in order to write in the blackboard, they are scolded as 'too demanding' (probably, demanding with the principal raising an extra issue they don't want to deal with because it would mean to create friction with parents).
    Basically, teachers are bullied and it is considered part of the job.

It was the other way around for us. We used to have to duck under the desks to avoid the projectiles thrown by the teachers.

I suppose I have an old fashioned view of schooling, having spent 12 years of it in UK boarding schools, where seven to eight hours a day were spent in classes and you couldn't run away from it.

Well, we tried, but were always caught and thrashed within inches of our lives.

I remember asking Adri why she sent her son to private school and she looked at me with an expression of, 'Why do you think, dummy?'

In her opinion, which is shared by most people, it's because the public school education is so appallingly bad, not to mention the fact that children only seem to attend school for about four hours a day.

Semi goodlooking said:

Private schools have their own problems.

I see that many medium-high class parents send their children to private schools not only because the teachers will not be on strike, (as it happens with the public schools) but for the very important reasons that are collecting contacts, that will serve the young fellow to have invitations, parties and job oppportunities in the future. If you are surrounded by poor people, these things will not appear. It is very cruel and uncomfortable to said this, but this is the plain truth.

Academic excellence is not the point. You pay for contacts.

Private education has often been like that, rubbing shoulders with important people, that kind of thing.

I know it's an old cliche, but let's face it, it's not what you know but who you know that counts when climbing many career ladders. Although knowing a thing or two of relevance to your stock in trade certainly helps.