Posts from Splinter in thread „All about bread in BA“

At boarding school, the cook would give us each a fistful of toasted crusts for helping her shovel coal into the boiler in the mornings. (the teachers had their crusts cut orf)

You've no idea how tasty they were.

No surprise there.

In fact. the first shop I opened in Olivos was on the bottom floor of a block of flats and even though we didn't benefit from any of the so-called amenities of the flats, we still had to pay the expenses, which were exorbitant. Also, the rent went up 25% per year and after the three year contract was up, they wanted to bump it by around 35% and then 25% each subsequent year for the next three years.

We said no, moved out and I found a shop for half the price, then all that crap started all over again. Not to mention Macri's brutal subsidies claw-backs which saw utilities go up by 500-1000% ( they thought they had it bad in Chile and Ecuador ffs!)

Then a new landlord slapped a 75% increase on the rent, which is when I finally threw the keys back at them and moved into my garage with zero overheads.

Gordon Gekko reckoned greed was good...

There are hundreds of bread varieties available, but I steer clear of Pan Industrial, as Adri calls it, i.e. that awful sliced stuff from Bimbo and others.

Why do they add milk to bread?

Although Bimbo do a euphemistically named pan casero, which is the same but looks different, with flour sprinkled on it. i.e it tastes the same as industrial.

Carrefour do some very nice French loaves (baguettes) in a rustic style and a very tasty flavour indeed, which I now use for Choripans.

But what I was really looking for was a nice unsliced white loaf, but the bakery in La Lucila don't make them, which startled me, and on further investigation I found a small cafeteria that bakes its own, which they call pan de campo.

I bought one for $120 which is quite expensive, but will taste very special when toasted lightly and bacon, eggs and butter (unsalted) are thrown between two slices tnight. I might even throw in some melted cheese for the heck of it.