Posts from Splinter in thread „Mainly cats“

In our house we're under austerity measures, so Floyd will eat whatever we can economically afford.

He hasn't moaned yet...

Oh, I’m so glad he has a new cat! What’s his name? How old?

Gosh, he does look like a meerkat!

He calls him Spicey and he's very timid.

We're feeding him while he's away and it's taken a few days for us to even stroke him.

On Friday I rescued a Humming Bird from the jaws of death - Floyd's jaws, no less. Fortunately, nothing seemed broken and he was stunned and also terrified, so I locked Floyd in the house, picked up the bird and gently placed him on the roof, where he took flight and then hid in the tiles. They are such beautiful and amazing creatures and to see one up close is very rare.

I just hope he made it.

I hope Floyd takes a parental attitude toward the new one.

He may not get the chance...

To say that Sunday's 'meet and greet' was a bizarre experience would be a huge understatement.

At first, I was happy to go along with mingling with the kittens, taking our clothing scented by us and Floyd so that the potential kitten could use the clothing for recognition etc

But cat people are weird and even though I knew this, I was prepared to be open minded. I've known a few, let's put it that way. God syndrome is one way of describing them.

Long story short - the cat woman asked dozens of questions about our house, how many rooms, chances of kitten escape, traffic, barriers to prevent escape or imminent death of potential kitten etc etc.

We answered all her questions with patience, but I had a gnawing doubt as to where this was headed. Sure enough, she began to insist on inspecting our home prior to delivery of the kitten ( which she would deliver a day or two later following the inspection).

She also insisted on talking to our neighbour, who has two Siamese cats and it was at this juncture that I called bullshit.

I told her that she was welcome to deliver the kitten and to have a quick look at our house, but that was it. No initial inspection and certainly no contacting our neighbours. But she went on and on with her what-if scenarios and clear indications that she would have to approve our home as a kitten residence. Whilst I applaud animal welfare - God knows how animals suffer in the wrong hands - I was not prepared to patronised in this fashion, told her so and up and left, with Adri following a minute later.

We both liked this one, but have decided to go elsewhere:

I think the answer changes every 5 minutes!

It is too hard to pick one.

Bottom right :)

By the way, we have to take some clothing with the scent of Floyd and us on it, but trying to get a cat to sit on something which you want them to sit on is no easy task.

Thanks for the great tips and advice serafina

Do cats get lonely or are they selfish and self-sufficient? Adri reckons that Floyd was pining when Rachel died. Yes, he was looking for her, but I couldn't say whether he was sad or not. I'm not a catologist!

Will keep you posted

We're thinking of getting a companion cat for Floyd but not sure if we should get a male of female.

He's been neutered anyway.