Posts from Splinter in thread „General celebrity chat and gossip“

I don't understand the Americans obsession have with Taylor Swift, let alone the rest of the planet

That and Elvis Presley when he was alive, and the Beatles when that was a thing

Like every single breath and step they take is under close scrutiny. I wonder if Elvis did fake his death to get away from it all. After all, he was more or less stuck in Graceland. Now, today, they track Swift's plane movements, and now they have an university degree about her....the world has gone crazy

Surely you know that Elvis is working at a fish and chip shop somewhere near you?

That scene from Jaws and Robert Shaw's delivery...

"Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into her side, Chief. We was comin’ back from the island of Tinian to Leyte. We’d just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in 12 minutes.

Didn’t see the first shark for about a half-hour. Tiger. 13-footer. You know how you know that in the water, Chief? You can tell by lookin’ from the dorsal to the tail. What we didn’t know, was that our bomb mission was so secret, no distress signal had been sent. They didn’t even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, Chief, sharks come cruisin’ by, so we formed ourselves into tight groups. It was sorta like you see in the calendars, you know the infantry squares in the old calendars like the Battle of Waterloo and the idea was the shark come to the nearest man, that man he starts poundin’ and hollerin’ and sometimes that shark he go away… but sometimes he wouldn’t go away.

Sometimes that shark looks right at ya. Right into your eyes. And the thing about a shark is he’s got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll’s eyes. When he comes at ya, he doesn’t even seem to be livin’… ’til he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then… ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin’. The ocean turns red, and despite all your poundin’ and your hollerin’ those sharks come in and… they rip you to pieces.

You know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men. I don’t know how many sharks there were, maybe a thousand. I do know how many men, they averaged six an hour. Thursday mornin’, Chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player. Boson’s mate. I thought he was asleep. I reached over to wake him up. He bobbed up, down in the water, he was like a kinda top. Upended. Well, he’d been bitten in half below the waist.

At noon on the fifth day, a Lockheed Ventura swung in low and he spotted us, a young pilot, lot younger than Mr. Hooper here, anyway he spotted us and a few hours later a big ol’ fat PBY come down and started to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened. Waitin’ for my turn. I’ll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went into the water. 316 men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29th, 1945.

Anyway, we delivered the bomb."

The supermodel must have devoted more thought to her dress than to preparing for interviews.

But Hugh Grant came across as a prima donna who thought he was too important to stoop to the interview. She looked dumb and unprepared. But he looked like a complete jerk.

I disagree. What kind of answers would you expect from such dumb questions like what are you wearing tonight?

He answered honestly.

Hugh Grant is being labelled obnoxious for his curt answers in this red carpet Oscars interview, when in fact the questions were so banal that he had little choice but to give the answers that he did.

He's normally very charming, but perhaps on this occasion he couldn't give a monkey's.

And that turd, Piers Morgan has labelled him a dick, a description more fitting for he himself.

Judge for yourself.

How can Fawlty Towers be reimagined in this day and age? The whole point of the original series was that it poked fun at so many different attitudes, crossed the line on so many occasions and and was genuinely funny. Communication misunderstandings were the key to the comedy, but can it and should it be revived in today's woke/cancel culture society?

Fawlty Towers: John Cleese to revive series with daughter Camilla
    John Cleese will write and star in the revival alongside his daughter Camilla Cleese.
    www.bbc.com

Serious question. Name any young man who would turn turn down being seduced by a beautiful older woman.

Told you.

Now he says this. Fffs, get real, Ginger!

Harry writes: “I suspected he was referring to my recent loss of virginity, a humiliating episode with an older woman who liked macho horses and who treated me like a young stallion.

“I mounted her quickly, after which she spanked my ass and sent me away.

“One of my many mistakes was letting it happen in a field, just behind a very busy pub. No doubt someone had seen us.”

We're watching the first part and although they certainly come across as entitled and living in the lap of luxury, listening to their point of view is an eye-opener. Especially the media hounding and mud slinging on Meghan from mainly UK tabloids.

It will be interesting to see what they have to say in the next three episodes due to be aired next Thursday.

Ginger and Whinger, aka, Harry and Megan are reported to be earning US$100m from the new Netflix documentary which airs this week and I don't think it's going to do them any favours at all, except for their bank balances.

In fact it may well rebound on them very badly. Most US viewers don't care about them one way or another and frankly, they should just shut up.

It's also said to full of inaccuracies for this entitled couple.

Sky News Australia, a known right wing Murdoch mouthpiece has a view on this.