Posts from Splinter in thread „US Customs - ignore risks at own peril“

I feel entirely comfortable expressing any opinion on this forum, otherwise we might as well pack up and go home. I would however stop short of inciting violence or extreme hatred, but that doesn't mean to say that we need to self-censor.

As for citizenship, I would day that permanent residency with a DNI serves practically the same purpose.

There's plenty of reason to assume that Seth Harp - the journalist in question - was on their radar, especially since he's a journalist and the current US administration believes that they are the enemy of the people. Ergo, he's a target and a smart-aleck before he's even opened his mouth.

Of course he challenged their authority; that's what journalists do, and I'd be surprised if he'd not been expecting this kind of treatment as he walked down the skyway from the plane at Austin, quite frankly. Some may see this as naive, but I would interpret his behaviour as cynical. After all, he did get to write a good story afterwards.

Showing nonchalance in this day and age can also be interpreted as belligerence, so he was screwed either way.

Now, grovelling is another matter. If he had doffed his cap and bowed and scraped in front of the official, he may have passed through without incident, but that would have been out of character. I believe he was ready for this and, his flowery report notwithstanding, he makes that pretty clear in the first paragraph or so. He was asked to divulge the story he had been investigating, which threw a switch in his head and he dug his heels in. That, in itself provoked the whole SS style interrogation.

Reference to Occam's Razor in this context is therefore not appropriate, since by definition it means the simplest answer is often the best one. Answer to what, anyway?

As an aside, it seems that Seth Harp, if indeed that is his real name, has a minuscule footprint on the Internet, using different photos on The Intercept and Rolling Stone. Neither does he appear to have a public Twitter or Facebook profile, which leads one to believe that he needs to hide behind a wall.

"As to what you can and can't get away with..."?

So, is refusing to divulge what you are reporting on, trying to get away with something? Yes it is, in a dictatorship.

When I think of all those crass things people say about the USA like, the land of the free, I cringe, especially when hearing stories like this.

I've been in and out of Argentina and the UK probably 50 times or more in a decade and nothing like this has happened to me.

I have however heard of similar happening to Argentine friends entering the USA and UK, but certainly not on this scale.

Was he already on their radar?