Posts from serafina in thread „Drinking and Nationality“

On the topic of drinking and nationality, I was meeting at several events a man in his 30s from an eastern country who drank way too much (and drove at the same time!!!).

He told me he has to drink at least 5 drinks just to get started. I was embarrassed for him when he wasn't able to walk straight or tipped the glass or crashed a bottle of beer because it slipped from his hands. I was surprised that my cousin and his friends kept inviting him at those events. He wasn't even particularly fun when drunk. It seemed to me a very shy boy that was desperately trying to win over his shyness with alcohol.

Regardless, my cousin put my concerns on his friend's need to seek psychological help as "it is his culture to drink".

I found it a very dismissive comment. He was an embarrassment for the group as the staff kept an eye on him at all time, and other patrons turned their head.

They weren't so condescend about the girl (of a different nationality) who drank also too much and danced in a very funny (and to me fun) way, i.e. twerking for the whole night.

I don't recall ever having tried Fernet. Judging by the sound of it I doubt I ever will.

In Italy, we have a series of bitters that are drunk at the end of the meal to help digestion. Since they are served after coffee (in Italian, caffè), digestivi are also called ammazzacaffè (coffee-killer). Digestive drinks are made with a variety of herbs.

You are supposed to have a shot (or two) like the one shown below, on the rocks or straight.

Fernet is out of fashion in Italy, but Amaro Montenegro or myrtle from Sardinia and the most popular (more popular digestivi here).

i have never seen Fernet used in a drink like here, let alone to accompany a whole night or dinner.

On the Fernet's website they offer a variety of drinks that can be made with it, but I can't recall any I have seen offered in bars in Italy. I am not a fan of digestivi, anyway. I'd rather end a luscious meal with a limoncello.

This spirit is known as the bartender's handshake | The Star

I actually enjoy Fernet and Cola, although my first reaction was "never again". That's the only alcohol that my brother in law drinks and offers at his asado, so I adjusted to his customs.

Personally, I like it with Coca Cero (as in 0 sugar). With regular coke is just too sugary.

Thanks! We lived almost three years in zona Norte, but we didn’t have a car back then and it was hard to move around at night safely. The bajo of San Isidro in unfortunately known for night crimes and on Libertador there is only bus 168. Sometimes we had to wait half an hour to catch the bus, especially at night.

I can’t say I know the food and drink scene over there.

In the city there are boliches along the Costanera and food trucks selling food and drinks almost around the clock.
    In our street in Palermo Soho there is a boliche called Shapō (the French word chapeau - or hat - but written according to Spanish phonetic) and in the previous and next block there are beer places that are always very crowded. We stayed out until 2 AM last weekend with the same friends as before, but also at Cervelar (beer joint) people were having milanesa, Coca-Cola, fries, and only a few men drank beer.

However, try walking on a Sunday morning and you’ll see plenty of cans, bottles and plastic cups around the area. Occasionally, also spirits bottles (especially vodka).

In general, I don’t meet drunk people in Argentina when I go out socially (which is not that much, I admit). The only drunk people I meet are homeless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never heard an Argentine talk about getting drunk and I've hardly ever seen a drunk one either.

In the UK however...

If they keep drinking Fernet Cola, it is too expensive to get drunk!

We tried to go out to drink a couple of weeks ago with a couple of friends from Europe. We had dinner in the bajo of San Isidro and we returned to Avenida Libertador to drink, but all there was were ice cream parlors, pizza chains, burger joints, parrillas, and the occasional cafè. We sat in one (Pepino) because we saw a long bar inside and two expensive cars outside, thinking they catered to an international sophisticated clientele, but once the waiter brought us the menu, it was all milanesas & burgers, soda, Cepita, water and bottled beer.

Basically, a 5 years old b-day party.

The only alcoholic drink on the list was Fernet Cola. We left before ordering and walked one block to a sort of pub, very dark and showing the Live Aids concert on a CRT TV. Most people were having tea, hamburgers, soda, iced tea or lemonade. It was 2 AM and people ordered soft drinks and food. A lot of grey hair, too! I was dragging....

I was the designated driver so I was not looking forward to drink, but at the end of the night I was SO sleepy that my husband asked me if I was fit to drive.

Anyway, more than an English Vs. Spanish speaking countries, I think it is a hot vs. cold climate.

It is not fun getting drunk in hot climate, I think.

Here in Argentina I get dizzy a lot quicker than I used to in Italy. I don't know if it is my age, the climate or the poor alcohol quality here.

I was actually able to get VERY drunk on beer here, but it was very light. It was a first and totally involuntarily. Until I was sitting, I was fine. But when I got up and started walking, I was blown!