Posts from Carlos in thread „Travel stories, photos and videos“

All is cheap in Argentina, provided you earn your wages in dollars. A gallon of gasoline here cost 3,10 dollares that means 0,82 dollars per liter. In Argentina

the most expensive gasoline is about 110 pesos per liter, 0,82 dollars at 200 pesos per dollar is 163 pesos.

Not to mention health costs or health insurance,

Tornados are really quite rare here. And if they appear, only some roof is destroyed. The reason is that we use mainly masonry to build houses, and walls are 12 inches thick. They resist more than the typical "balloon frame" very popular in the USA. Of course, the masonry is much more expensive and they require more time to be built.

That must have been the most impenetrable castle ever built.

Ir reminds me the Andrelkrag castle (imaginary drawing) did by Harold Foster who wrote "The Valiant Prince", a comic series appeared in the 1940's in US and Argentina. It tells the history of Prince Valiant, from Thule, (perhaps today Norway) and his adventures visitng Camelot and being part of the Knights of King Arthiur, circa V century BC.

Harold Foster was an excellent artist who depicted with unusual accuracy all the weapons, things and landscape of the earlier Middle Age.

The Willow tea rooms , one of Mackintosh's most famous buildings

Very refined building. The chairs, cups of tea, spoons, plates and all the complementary things for a Tea House were designed specifically by Mackintosh and the Mc Donalds sisters. One of them was Mackintosh's wife. The germans call it a "total work of Art" (Gesamtkunstwerk) and he influenced the Vienna Sezession group, contemporary trend in Austria.

Is that a beautiful building in Scotland? Forgive me if I am going against consensus if this is some much-loved building, but it looks like a nursing home to me (and not the imposing and/or beautiful kind). I mean, Scotland has some stonking buildings before this one.

Those are buildings of a very famous scot architect: Charles Rennie Mackintosh. Two photos are from the Hill house, designed around 1900. All of them are quoted in all books about History of Architecture-