Posts from UK Man in thread „Your cooking stories“

I believe I did somewhere because Adri makes them from a tin of beans (porrotos), concentrated tomato, paprika and tomato sauce. Almost the same and very tasty, even though the beans car very big.

Thanks I thought it was you. :thumbup: Reason I ask. I've been making tattie scones with last nights leftover mash and was thinking about a fry-up. Can get everything except the baked beans. Think I'd leave out the paprika though.

20220531-183259.jpg

Thanks to Splinter I'm having baked beans. To the porrotos I added Heinz Tomato ketchup I got in Vea and the sweetness makes them a pretty good match for the real thing. :thumbup:

20220531-193604.jpg

UK Man , I think the more pointy leaves you describe are probably spearmint, which is definitely what you’d want for mint sauce. Or, for that matter, mint juleps, which just might be a tasty cocktail to have before a dinner of leg of lamb!

A New Zealand chef brought us some freshly dug new potatoes, which he tossed in butter and chopped fresh mint. Completely delicious.

That's good to know....the cocktail sounds interesting. :thumbup:

The lamb was excellent with great flavour, the sprouts were first class, but the Yorkshire pud didn't rise. I think I used too much flour.

I bought fresh mint, chopped it up, added sugar and a little hot water, then some wine vinegar. The mint here isn't as minty as it is back home, but it was still tasty.

Someone gave us plants of two varities of mint. The one with the rounder leaf wasn't as strong smelling as the pointed leaved one. I'll give it a try using both in separate jars and see if there's any difference. I've got a feeling I tried it before and when the missus found it in the fridge she threw it out!!

Sprouts are in season right now and in the greengrocers in Capital. Maybe there's just no demand for them from other customers where you live? Mint sauce is very easy to make from the mint plants you grow in your back yard. If you don't already grow mint in your back yard, a word of warning: turn your back on it for more than five minutes and it will take over your whole plot!

I'll have a look next time I'm in the supermarkets. I noticed last week Vea had cauliflower. We do indeed have mint growing. Is it just vinegar, sugar and water you add?

I have two additional obstacles:

1. The oven has only high and low settings, with no notation of actual temperature, and

2. I’m a terrible cook. 😱

Our current gas cooke like the last one has a temperature guesstimate oven. You have to be close by to keep a regular eye on what's cooking in it or forever be disappointed.

Look great!! :thumbup:

I've often thought about cooking a beef roast but a few things have stopped me. Haven't the foggiest which cut of meat to ask for and no Bisto or horseradish sauce here.