Posts from bebopalula in thread „Falklands/Malvinas propaganda“

PART of the province of Tierra del Fuego??

Note the comma after "Fuego." I don't think it's really very different from stating that Fogo Island is part of the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador. All the places have separate identities but are brought together under one administration. (Hmmm. Probably not such a good example since nobody appears to be disputing that Fogo Island is anything other than part of Newfoundland)

I didn’t know that Falkland Islanders weren’t eligible for Argentine workers’ benefits, bebopalula .

To be honest, I didn't know that they are eligible for workers' benefits. Are they?

Anyway, I was thinking of the benefits of everyday living in Argentina that we sometimes forget about when we are grumbling about so much else. Just imagine, a low-cost flight into Buenos Aires for a spot of shopping; a fairly-reasonably-priced air connection to just about anywhere else in the world; shops, the arts, the culture and to top it all, warm, friendly people (they are not all politicians, after all). Etc. Etc. I reckon that having all that freely available on your doorstep, the two societies might naturally draw more closely together within a couple of generations.

Am I naïve in thinking that exposing Falkland Islanders to visitors would be mutually beneficial?

Nope. And I also think that if Argentina were nicer to the Kelpers (stopped calling them Kelpers, for a start) the "soft power" of welcoming them to the mainland and making the benefits[1] of Argentina easily available to residents of the Falklands etc etc etc, that would go a huge way towards encouraging the Falklanders to actually want to have closer associations with the mainland.

AIUI in the past when an air link between Port Stanley and the mainland was started up, it pretty soon foundered because it was run by the Argentine military and the Falklanders didn't enjoy having a lot of people in Argentine service dress running around their airport. Now if today they were to set up a link and let it be operated by FlyBondi or Jetsmart[2] that would be totally non-confrontational, wouldn't it?

[1]And there are benefits. We all know that.

[2]Fat chance of that happening though

I would love to visit the Islands to see what's all the fuss about. I have been unable to find out how it is possible to reach the Islands at this time. In the past, there were connections from Chile, but it seems the commercial flights were suspended during the pandemic. When I try to search for flights to Port Stanley from Santiago, I can't find any.

And I bet it is as expensive as going to the UK, so for that much money, I'd rather go East than South!

Try looking for Punta Arenas to Mount Pleasant (PUQ-MPN) Google seems to think that there is still one flight per week.