Posts from bebopalula in thread „Currently reading“

My bathroom book is "One Summer" in which Bryson pieces together the events of 1927 - the Lindbergh year. Very absorbing (perhaps I shouldn't say that about a bathroom book!) but I can't yet tell you how it ends because it's in the wrong bathroom and I won't be back there again for months!

<snip>

By the way, has anyone tried The Book Depository website? Apparently there are no import taxes for shipping books here.

https://www.bookdepository.com

Yes. The Book Depository is excellent and we use them all the time. So far all of the books ordered for delivery to Argentina (or anywhere else, for that matter) have arrived - eventually. Sometimes it's a bit nailbiting waiting for them to turn up but they do.. ...they do. Free delivery worldwide regardless of order size and often their prices are cheaper than Amazon - which is interesting because they are an Amazon-owned business.

There are no import taxes on books so they should be delivered straight to your door without passing through Aduana. One thing: if you use an Argentine bank or credit card for your purchases your bank statement will automatically be uplifted by the taxes on overseas purchases because the card systems don't know you are buying books. If this happens contact your bank with the purchase invoice which matches the transaction and they should refund the taxes to your account. It's happened several times with us and they have always made the refund.

I read it about twenty years ago after, I think, about my second visit to Argentina and you just won't believe what stuck in my mind then and still refuses to let go? The washing up.

There's a scene that takes place while an Argentine is washing the dishes. But in the book they are doing it the "British" way with plates and suds in the bowl though I have never seen an Argentine who doesn't load the sponge with detergent and clean the dishes under a running tap. I'm not saying it doesn't happen/couldn't happen, just that I've lost count of the number of times I've got myself into trouble with my other half - and others - when I've tried to plunge all the plates into a bowl of soapy water the way I would do it in the UK. Whatever I may have thought of the rest of the book I just couldn't believe that scene.

I specifically use https://bing.com when searching for films and videos because I find I can make Bing work better for me at video than other search engines. Searching for "On The Beach (2000)" gets a bit obscured because the Leonardo DeCaprio movie "The Beach" was also released in the year 2000. In my version of Bing video search "On The Beach" comes right at the top with a four-part video available on Dailymotion.com. The first section is here:

. The film can be found complete via Bing - but you might have to dust off your Russian or Polish language skills to fully appreciate it!

Incidentally, I find Dailymotion a good place to start for TV programmes, mini series and the like that are difficult to find elsewhere. If you are a copyright holder then Dailymotion are bad news because they tend to respond to take-down notices with a Gallic shrug and a typical French "bof." But if you must see the latest "Doctor Who" or "Call The Midwife" then you can expect it to turn up on Dailymotion within hours of first transmission.