Posts from Rice in thread „Currently reading“

I've just finished reading Rory Stewart's "The Places In Between" about a journey he made on foot from Herat to Kabul in Afghanistan. It was one of those rare books that I didn't want to end. Top level travel-writing in my opinion. For the non-Brits reading, Rory Stewart fought an election campaign a few years ago to become Conservative Prime Minister.

@Bombonera , Rory Stewart’s podcast co-host, Alistair Campbell, has a new book “But What Can I Do?” In response to the state of politics and government today.

I've been reading a lot on ecology and sustainability for my dissertation. 

Zoey , what are you studying, and where?

PS on Rory Stewart: soccer fans will find this interesting -

THE REST IS POLITICS:

Join Rory and Alastair as they discuss the end of the World Cup and the soft power that comes with it, rising tensions between Kosovo and Serbia, Rory's experiences as Prisons Minister, and the challenge the government faces regarding prison reform. Email:restispolitics@gmail.comProducers: Dom Johnson + Nicole Maslen Exec Producers: Tony Pastor + Jack Davenport Hosted on Acast. See acast.com/privacyfor more information.

Listen on Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/…611374685?i=1000590810335

Rory Stewart is so interesting. I like his podcast with Alastair Campbell, “The Rest Is Politics.”

His book “The Marches: A Borderland Journey between England and Scotland” is on my must-read list. On your recommendation, I’m adding “The Places In Between.” Thanks, @Bombonera !

I suspect that most people who read Orwell in their formative years would name him as one of the authors whose works they most remember.

How surprising that one scene stuck with you! I read the book about 17 years ago, but I don’t remember any particular scenes; just an overall impression that the writer seemed quite depressed and seemed not to like the city very well. Because I love the city, I felt at odds with Ms France throughout, and felt that she drew conclusions from superficial experiences.

What I do remember enjoying were her descriptions of familiar places, flavors/aromas, and history. And I remember that, even around 2005, I felt she had experienced a Buenos Aires that had existed in an earlier era.

I read that book, and you’re right: difficult to read it. Although the BsAs she described was certainly a different scene from today’s (housing, for example), her general depiction was all too familiar.

I was surprised to see that on grammar.com.

The writer also needs to be introduced to rules for commas. They don’t exist to be sprinkled around like cinnamon on toast.

The grammar.com link brings up another question.

Whilst is mostly used in British English, though way lesser than while.”

In the UK, would you really say “lesser” instead of “less?” I’ve never seen the comparative form of “less” except in expressions like “the lesser of two evils.” In “way lesser than while,” does “lesser” actually say anything more than “less” says?

I’ve just started reading Matt Haig’s The Midnight Library. Not sure if it’s going to be my kind of read, since I’m not big into speculative fiction.

One thing I’ve noticed: this British writer says “while” instead of “whilst.” Could it be that younger writers are letting go of the archaic form?

Side note for those unfamiliar with US History from that time:

It was on the basis of this heroic rescue that Ross Perot made his ill-advised presidential run, splitting off enough Republican votes from George H W Bush to allow Bill Clinton to win the presidency in 1992.

Fat Man in Argentina! Tom Vernon’s observations are so different and so worthwhile. Love him.

After a couple of you piqued my curiosity about the book, I finally got my hands on a copy. And nearly immediately found the paperback quietly lurking on our own bookshelves. So we can both read it at the same time.

Zero Fail, The Rise and Fall of the Secret Service. Written by Washington Post reporter and three times Pulitzer Prize winner Carol Leonnig.

At times amusing, generally uneasy-making, recently infuriating, this well-researched book starts with the founding of the Secret Service and brings the story up through the failed insurrection against the US Legislature, Constitution and Capitol.