Posts from Semigoodlooking in thread „Argentina elections 2019“

It is meant to be her but I am really not sure if it is. It takes a special kind of arrogance to put that image of yourself out in mass circulation for everyone to see and then tip up on stage looking like she did yesterday. Argentine's have a special relationship with fooling people with their image. Mirtha is a prime example.

I don't disagree. Well, actually I do. Poverty here in real terms is drastically worse than the UK, every single study you can find shows that. So, to say poverty is overplayed flies in the face of the obvious. However, it is not Africa or even Brazil.

That said, and I think this is important, the people moaning about poverty are perhaps not those that are really experiencing it. In that sense you are correct, the guy who wants free football and to drink beer all day while propped up by the state is overplaying his economic problems. Motochorros are not the lost poor people with nowhere else to turn some in Argentina paint them as. Poverty in Argentina is very real, but I will concede that the really poor people in this country are ignored by Cristina's politics as well.

Mu daughter voted for the first time at 16 yesterday. You may remember she was going to vote De Cano for the "lol's". Well, we convinced her voting as a joke is the real joke and that she voted for Macri. Still, I bet many of her friends or age group did not vote with a thought as to why they were voting. I really believe 16-year olds are too childish to be given a vote.

I understand now. If you are at rock bottom, you are hoping for relief TODAY, so you vote for the promises of politicians, and probably on nostalgia for futbol para todos and other free things.

I still don't buy it.....

When I was a poor student in Denmark, just making the rounds, working weekends and nights to get money......I voted far right, (not ultras!!!)....... I would have got a lot more benefits from voting left.....

Btw, the most right, conservative party in Denmark, (before ultras or neo Nazis, if u have), is called VENSTRE, or left, izquierda in English and Spanish....... imagine a mess it would be here......a lot people would vote for a wrong party without knowing it!!!!! Maybe mm would have achieved more votes with a name like "panchos and football"....... nobody would get past the name, but just vote it blindly!!!!

I don't know the specifics of your situations. But we're not talking about people who are students and working weekends. For a start, those would mostly be people living in cities. Did you notice that almost all major population centers voted for Macri? We are talking about people at the very bottom that live in houses made of corregated metal and without running water. I think sometime we forget that there is a significant amount of third-world-level poverty in Argentina.

At the time, was the regime in Denmark left wing populist that convinced people life can be easy and some things free? Geniune question because I don't know.

We know that Argentina's politics have fostered a condition in this country where many people want to do the least amount of work possible to reach a livable standard. I don't argue this but that makes it more obvious that those same people would vote CFK. As stupid and misguided as yesterday's decision was, in the mindset of some individuals it was logical.

I get it. He said if he was "in their shoes". If you're someone with no money, you're not thinking about Macri's 10-year plan to recovery, whcih may take 20-30 years before the beenfits trickle down to you living in poverty. Instead, you think about the here and now. It's naive and even probably outright stupid, but it is understandable. Let's not forget that CFK and her cronies have convinced these people that they are a saviour to them and that they lived good lives before.

She's such a ranting old woman. If she was standing on her porch ranting and raving with 30 cats you would not think twice about it. Instead she is steering a country (I agree Fernandez last night confirmed he is a puppet).

Yeah, it showcases the democratic system but it is hardly showing it in a good light. One of the biggest flaws with democracy is it gives a lot of monkeys guns.

The wildly dropping peso exchange rate immediately after the PASO results came in couldn’t reasonably be read as a reaction to the economic policy of the current administration. The timing of the collapse points to the complete lack of confidence the rest of the world has in Cristina & Cronies.

Esepcially as analysts and economists outside Argentina are saying it's precisely because the world has no confidence in CFK. However, in the Argentine bubble many believe the crap trotted out by Fernandez. I understand the politicians, they have something to gain from lying, but the belief of the Argentine people in those lies shows ignorance and frankly embarrases them.

Shellshocked and again displaying one of his biggest flaws, he is not a good communicator. He should have been communicating more directly and honestly with the Argentine people from the get go.

Yes a lot of truth in that. As my wife says Argentina only gets what it deserves. I do like the people here but one thing I've noticed is a large amount of them lack maturity especially the males....it's about time they grew up and stopped acting like kids.

Nah, the ladies too, at least up until a certain age. My daughter is 16 and is failry well connected socially. All her female friends are morons of certain degrees. The males too by the way. Largely uneducated but entitled and willing to jump on bandwagons without even understanding a subject they are championing (abortion a prime example).

It's a generational thing for sure and related to the social justice warrior movement. There's such a lack of identity in teenagers these days. I think technology has removed the sense of the individual from them and they are completely lost.

And let's not forget. What happened yesterday was not a binding result. I think an uprising now would harm their cause and give Macri more chance of winning in October. I mean I would bet with you @JAN but that is meaningless on a forum. I will just say I disagree and we will see who is correct in October.

It would be political suicide if he bailed now, also for all his political supporters.

Would you mind elaborating, @JAN ?

In many senses, he's lost the mandate to govern, but then he never had a huge majority in the first place. Leaving before his term is up would be a serious mistake.

I agree.

And regaridng leaving Argentina. I would only do that if it got to Venezuela levels. Economically I am always seperated from what's going on here because I earn in Dollars. It's the other aspects of life here that I am more concerned about and while things have improved under Macri the differences are not that extreme. If that were to change I would take my family to another Spanish speaking country (for their sake) and hope that stability comes back to Argentina.

Let's be clear, that's a worst case scenario and at no point under Cristina's government did I consider that. She was bad and it was bad, but not drastically different to now.

Splinter touched on something too. Macri has dragged down many of his political supporters. Vidal has been discussed as a major bright part of Argentine politics for the future and she got demolished last night. Sure the province is a bit of a poisoned chalice, but I can't help but think she was hit hardest by association with Macri.

Exactly. I think Macri may regret not just being stronger in the first two years of his presidency. He seemed to be caught between pushing real change and trying to please CFK voters. It always looked like he was working with a self imposed hand tied behind his back. He was never going to win those voters so he may as well as gone all in on more drastic changes.

I have seen a lot of changes through his presidency, most of which I view as positive. However, I accept I am not living in a villa, where people probably don't see any of those changes and certainly get little positivity from them. For example, I see the city transforming in terms of infrastructure, whether it's new roads, train stations, or whatever. I doubt people struggling to pay for food really care about that stuff. I said on the other forum that people in the villa have to choose between seeing the effects of changes that may be decades away or taking the Futbol para Todos and reduced utility bills now. It's a tough choice when you have no money and/or are ignorant (harsh but true). Crisitna is essentially undergoing social bribery to win votes.

The cycle will never be broken here because to bring real change will take a decade or more and Argentine's simply never want to wait.