Posts from Rice in thread „Traditional attire“

I am too surprised of the love of blonde in Argentina.

Not only you can tell it's not a greta fit for their complexion, but also that it is cheap stuff because there is no hue and it is all single-shade blonde.

I'd rather see a bold red or purple head than a fake blonde that says 'pathetic' all over.

Well, serafina, there are certainly plenty of bold red and purple heads around, so you will get your wish!

In my observations, Argentine women - both young and “of a certain age” - are very concerned about their appearance. Many are very lovely.

It can be disconcerting to see 80-year-old women with jet black or fire engine red hair, though.

I believe the people in Buenos Aires dress much better than most people in the rest of the world. Especially the young women who are as thin as X-rays.

No worries, Carlos ! You did not offend me in any way — I just want to make sure that my style of dressing is not offensive to tradition in the city. Were I to wear the same kind of beautiful shoes my Mother did, I would need a chauffeur who could leave me at the door!

Serafina said:

That's exactly the same wording my husband used!

Not to say that women use worst dresses. They use what now is called "calzas", a kind of pants very stretched specifically used for gymnastics.

Low people usually have, instead of leather shoes, what they called "zapatillas". Not because leather shoes are expensive. On the contrary, the "zapatillas" they use (Nike, for example) are much more expensive. It seems that they put all their prestige in those weird shoes, as they are not trekking or walking, or running.

Well, I ask that no one should be too disapproving of running shoes! In my case, they are my salvation, as I broke some tendons in my university days that didn’t heal properly even after painful surgeries. Wearing running shoes, I am able to walk 13-16 km/day throughout BsAs; if I were forced to wear the business shoes of 50 years ago, I couldn’t walk a single cuadra without intense pain.