Posts by UK Man

Yeah if you're only going as far as London and departure/arrival times suit then Norwegian would be fine. Although their fares haven't been that much cheaper than the competition whenever I've looked. Still prefer Iberia over BA.

To be honest it's such a long journey I keep putting off going back to the UK. Especially as once there you have to do it all again just to come back here. :D

Makes planning anything in this basket case economy a fucking nightmare.

I realize I had misspelled I have a quote instead of I gave a quote.

This is one of the rare instances where I deal with Argentinian clients and I always regret it in the end.

It is a PITA (not because of the people, because of the circumstances!)

Last year we agreed on giving classes on Saturday afternoon. We initially quoted these 100 dollars because that would have covered our building expenses. Six months later, our building expenses had skyrocketed and the students were still paying 3000 ARS. I couldn't wait for the lessons to be over--- all my Saturdays screwed for pennies!

My wife has shortly to renew the contracts for the tenants of the shop properties....they've already started to plead poverty to her during recent weeks despite being able to afford holidays, new cars, one is even building a house.

I told her to call their bluff and increase their rent in line with inflation as that's what they do with the price of the products they're selling. She won't though, hence why they've been tenants for many years. They still moan of course but they're obviously doing well.

Yesterday the dollar reached almost AR$45 and Macri says everything is fine and we should just get used to it.

I'm no economist, so I have to ask: is this normal?

I'm no economist either but Macri might be right. I suspect the oil price being traded in dollars has something to do with it. If it keeps going up then everything else eventually goes up as well.

Business in this country is not competitive enough. They all seem quite happy to raise prices and pass it on to the consumer....lazy toerags.

I watched an excellent BBC World documentary about Venezuela and the Chavez man. Quite disturbing to see certain similarities - albeit in a much smaller way - to some of the things that have gone on here over the years.

Members of the Chavez fan club including Lady Kirchner had a short non speaking part....says it all really. :rolleyes:

Somehow they just have to get the inflation rate down as that's what's causing all the trouble. Business people can't take a chance when making long term decisions the way things are at the moment. They will obviously err on the safe side....which at the end of the day doesn't help inflation.

But things haven't improved economically, Rice. Inflation is now 52% and the peso has devalued around 65%. The country has gone backwards.

But at least that rate is believable unlike previous governments who tended to hide the real inflation rate by blatantly lying....while filling their own pockets.

What I'm more interested in knowing is what steps have to be taken to get the rate down without causing chaos in other sectors of the economy?

The Bank of England would know what needs to be done!! They could sort out the Argentine banks while they're at it. :D

Your wife is absolutely right, UK Man. Fifty dollars won’t even buy a pair of slacks or a shirt.

That's good...she won't be tempted to use the service then. :D

I on the other hand could get a couple of packets of my favourite Condor pipe tobacco, three packets of tea and a couple of bottles of HP Sauce. :thumbup:

Serafina slipped under the bed cover with us last night for the first time. She announced fall before we even read it on the calendar. It is nice to have a furry hot cat with you in bed to keep you warm. We should bring another one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The wife allows Pepe to sleep with us on top of the bed. When he gets too hot he goes under the bed which he didn't do last night. He doesn't try to get inside as he knows the missus would sling him out. :D

I definitely object to paying a handling fee.

It's quite objectionable and a true reflection of the 'pigs' snouts in troughs' attitude in Argentina. Everyone wants their cut.

The sad fact is that there is no open market in Argentina, since we are forced to accept crap home-grown products at highly inflated prices in a walled garden market.

Not to mention the fact that we were all deluded by Macri et al when they lifted the cepo exchange restrictions, fooling us into believing that a free market may one day appear.

I have zero hope of any light at the end of the economic tunnel for Argentina. Zero.

I'll give him another term before judging him as I suspect no one could have done any better during the few years he's had without causing further long term damage. He's a good communicator and has created a decent impression with the rest of the world. For that reason alone I hope he gets another term.

However I think the country will always be on to a loser because of its location and attitude of its people.

Lovely! You will miss it dearly once you are back. Chilly days have come, brown leaves have appeared...

I know it's chilly outside when Grey our greyhound doesn't want to go out in the morning...and he didn't this morning. So he had an extra hour in his bed instead. :D

The heating in the house will have to go on for the first time in months. Even I felt it chilly this morning when I got up.

The UK also has certain restrictions in place when it comes to receiving goods from abroad so I suppose we can't expect it to be too relaxed.

I don't even mind paying the 150 peso handling fee as long as I know 100% I'll receive my package at my front door inside a reasonable time scale. My wife has just said US$50 ceiling is still a miserly amount. :D

Actually, I thought that wasn't too bad a price for your book here....I think I'd just have paid it instead of risking buying it from abroad. Thank goodness it all went smoothly for you.

Anyway....let's hope this new initiative works far better than the current one. I see a release/handling fee still has to be paid up front which is a bit of a con. :cursing:

That's how the current farce was supposed to work except it was limited to $25 instead of $50. I won't be getting too excited until I hear examples of it actually working.

About time the retail industry here especially those who sell cheap Chinese imported goods at ridiculous prices got a wake up call.