Posts by Spixe

Thanks a ton for that info serafina. That's pretty much what I was thinking would happen to be, end up arriving with a bag of name brand goods that no one wants that I'd end up having to sell for pennies on the dollar. Since I have no actual experience of what people want, I think it's safer not to take the chance of doing that, especially if chances are that if I do attract buyers, they'll most likely be thugs and the wrong kinds of crowds, ha. Thanks yet again for the advice!

Thanks for all the advice and the warm welcome. Kind of scary sounding in a way, the level of quality (poor condition), prices (unusually high), and fake dollars (and didn't even know checks were still being used). We'll be extra vigilant if we decide to buy used then.

I've been reading the forums here to learn as much as I could and I learned a bit about trying to contact Mercadolibre sellers outside the portal (I think that was in one of your posts Splinter). Thank you for the FB group names too serafina, I'm sure that'll be very useful. We don't speak Spanish yet (A1 level self study only), but that'll be our first 2 semesters (intensive and normal) at UNC so hopefully by the end of the year we will be better able to handle the local market places.

We are going to bring about 8 suitcases with us to Argentina actually (paying for the excess bags), mostly clothes and some household things and small gadgets we can't live without (or don't want to rebuy there, I did some comparison shopping on ML and found it'd be cheaper to bring than to rebuy them). But maybe we can bring another full of items just to resell and help offset the cost of all the excess baggage fees.

The thing about China's clothes is the "affordable" name brand ones are fakes. Nikes will either be cheap and fake (but still very high quality, most probably couldn't tell the difference) or extremely expensive and the price of a months salary. Would fakes still be welcome there and sell for a reasonably high price, assuming the quality is still good? Otherwise, what kind of clothes would sell easily? T-shirts? Sweaters? Any particular brand? Sorry for the questions, I can just imagine me packing up a suitcase of random clothes to resell and no one wanting them and having wasted a pretty penny on it, sounds like my luck. :S

Hi all,

My wife and I are going to move to Cordoba in two months and I'm curious how the 2nd hand market scene works there. We both going to be students at UNC while working online to survive (as to make dollars/yuan). Needless to say we won't be rolling in dough and won't be arriving with much.

Where we currently live (China), there is a huge online 2nd hand market for just about everything (there are public groups set up in WeChat, a WhatApp type app, people post picture/price of things they're selling) - anything from TVs and furniture to clothes and computers.

Is it easy enough to buy 2nd hand things there? Local markets or shops, or online places? I've heard about the facebook marketplace (but for some reason am unable to access it - I'm still trying to figure out why) but am just curious what some experienced used goods shoppers might recommend.