Posts by serafina

We have Telecentro in Capital and I think we have some TV deal, but we never watch TV, just Netflix and Amazon Prime.

The more Telecentro calls us to upgrade our TV package, the more free trial time we get on TV. I think we have never paid for it to this date. We are genuinely not interested in TV, and always tell the Telecentro guy we just want the internet and he/she throws in a basic TV package.

We pay about 1100 ARS for Internet 100 MB. It is a discount deal that my husband got over the phone for some unknown reason. The connection is good, we experience some downtime once per month.

Today I received in my junk folder this email. I sleep very well as I haven't watched more than cat videos and I going back in time, I can't really remember having used the computer for my enjoyment, rather than work. Cats are an addictions, so I don't file them under leisure, anymore!

The sender appeared to be my email address, indeed. Which is a first.

To be honest we stopped eating out ages ago. The food on offer isn't that great for the price you pay and the menus are boringly predictable.

It baffles me how is that people here are paying so many different prices for burgers and fries... it can be 85 pesos or 385 pesos depending on where you have it, but the taste is always the same to me and they always offer the same variants.

I feel you, UK Man! We dread going out to have dinner with the locals as they seem to have an inner sense to go to expensive place that prepare junk food for a hefty price.

Thanks for emailing me the long and exhaustive article, Rice!

It was an interesting read with many examples from around the world. However, a study on what people are /were forced to do because of geographic location or technology limitations is rarely applicable to our modern lifestyle where we can decide when to eat and what to eat.

Socially, there are mandated times to eat, depending on where you are.

I am always surprised by the amount of people having pizza and milanesa at 4-5PM here. Except in touristic cities, in Italy it is impossible to have a full meal after 2:30PM and until 8PM. You can have snacks (pizza by the slice, sandwiches, etc.) but not a plate of pasta or a steak at 4-5PM.

I wasn’t able to read the full article because of the paywall. We use to eat early in north Italy, at 7-7:30 PM. Here we are done and in bed by the time our neighbors doorbells start to ring because the delivery has arrived!

I like eating out but it is hard to cope with dining late and getting to bed in the wee hours of the day.
    By 9 PM I am already starving and, hence, grumpy. At 10:30PM I start the countdown to my bed time...

Lately we have been having dinner past 8PM and close to 9PM because we are too busy to cook before. Sometimes we eat on time (around 8PM), but we go back to work afterwards.

I don’t like to go to bed right after dinner as I don’t sleep well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. I think bureaucracy in Argentina is far simpler, and professionals to deal with issues are cheaper. The work provided may not always be top notch, but gets the job done. It is mandatory to ask for referrals to get people doings things properly, though. You cannot simply open the yellow book hoping whomever you pick, it will be a safe choice.

Tax on vehicles here is very cheap compared to Italy. We have a tax (bollo) proportional to the power of the vehicle: the more the power, the more the tax. Expensive cars have a supertax (superbollo), such as SUVs, luxury sedans, etc. Car insurance can be cheaper in Italy. I think we paid about €120 for the basic coverage (civil damages) on a new BMW. Here, depending on the exchange rate, we have paid from €12 to €30 per month and for a 20 y.o. car!

We have property (real estate) taxes, but not on the first house if it is used as primary home. If you have a home abroad and live abroad, your Italian property is not considered primary home. You have to bed a resident in that place to benefit of the exemption. Primary home has also some benefit on utilities, but small stuff (I think -10% or something along these lines).

Buying and selling properties in Italy is more expensive than in Argentina: notary fees, real estate fees, taxes... these account for 15% over the purchasing price! I believe in Argentina it is slightly less (about 10%).

I was informed that now Italy taxes foreign bank accounts. It is a small flat tax of about €60-80 per year. Argentina taxes about 1%, I believe. This is really something that feels very unjust to me. One should be able to keep his own money were he want to. Declare it, yes. Pay taxes on it, yes. Paying bank fees to keep it safe, yes. But taxing citizens for not being able to provide the same product in your home country, making them choose a bank institution abroad, feels very unjust.

Bureaucracy for documents (IDs, driving licenses) here is MUCH faster and quite cheaper. In Argentina you can get a document done on the spot or in a matter of 2-3 days. In Italy it takes weeks. The only ID done on the spot is the old paper ID card. If you want the new plastic one you have to wait 7-10 days and it will be mailed to you. Getting a passport takes 2-3 weeks minimum. Some consulates in the US issue Italian passports on the spot or mail it on the next day. Mailing passports in Italy is not available.

Getting or renewing a driving license is also very expensive in Italy. I was just chatting with a friend who lived in Italy for a year, decided to get a DL, and was told that if you use a driving school the exam is 'easier'. So she paid €1000. She was already able to drive, but her Italian wasn't super back then so she was unsure she would be able to pass.

I paid about the same amount (in Liras) 20 years ago. Here in Argentina I paid maybe €15 and in three days I had the DL in my hand.

Also, bureaucracy in Argentina offers informative websites, you can email offices for information and get a reply in 24 hours. In Italy, office hide email addresses to avoid having to reply. Or they reply after days. By law, they have 60 days to reply to email, too, now.

In Italy there is no online procedure to guide you through a process (wizards) like here, you don't get a barcode to pay in a quiosco. Instead, you have to go the post office and fill in a payment slip with the details of the recipient entity, the amount, etc.

For the DL alone, there are 2 o3 taxes to pay, all to different entities (local level, regional level, state level), so you need three payment slips, and to pay for three transactions (€1,50x3). It is the middle age!

As for safety, in smaller town I agree with Splinter. In bigger towns (like Rome, Milan, Venice, Florence) it is safer than here but not Swiss-safe, especially in certain areas at night.

Savannah had a nice feeling to it. We stayed at an acquaintance's place nearby.

It was just a stop over en route to Florida. I wish we had the chance to explore it more. Charleston was also nice, but I didn't get any particular feeling. Our trip was on the road and some places we just drove through.

I can’t help wondering, serafina, what city or town were you considering? The warmth of people in the US varies greatly by geographic region.

I will say that suddenly, life in the US is not simple. But because President Obama pushed for an overhaul of the healthcare delivery system, since 2014, health insurance, at least, has been more affordable. The current president is trying to reverse that situation, which is a factor in my saying that life in the US is not that predictable or simple now.

Given the US is a BIG country, and my knowledge was quite limited, we traveled from NH to FL (originally we had to make it from Maine to FL, but a snow storm made it off limits). I like New England A LOT, but the cost of life over there was too expensive for us.

I remember these places that really impressed me: Sandwich (MA) and Williamsburg (VA).

I was also surprised by the Keys in FL, but the hurricane risk really took away my interest!

We discuss moving back from time to time, but I think it is a very Argentinian thing to have a plan B, even if it is just a fantasy.

These months are going to be quite heavy and on bad days I sometimes wonder if life wouldn't be simpler in the US or in Europe.

Then I look at the sun shining in fall-winter and this really restricts the potential destination that will fit our criteria (affordable, sunny, warm people).

Recently, I have really had the blues for the US for a few weeks in a row because of the work limitations I face here, but the financials have never been there to make that move int he past 5 years. When we went to the US and 'interviewed' locals on their life, nobody was doing good on our kind of money and they were without health insurance. If you work a white collar, then you can do good but you have to live to work. That was our impression.

It was also hard for us to get a hang of most things, and we didn't get the same warm impression we had gotten in Argentina a few months before.

I have had my US fantasy since ever, but the more I visited the less in love I was. However, I will always regret not having at least given it a serious try, but it wasn't my call, only.

A deal with whom?
    I can't imagine a deal with Macri, unless he was absolutely 100% sure that he'd win without her in the running. Besides, that little nest of vipers would do almost anything to get back in power, save doing a deal with with Mauricio, whom she loathes.

I don’t think there is something she wouldn’t do for money, including a deal with Macri.
    I think the deal is with Fernandez.
    With her daughter conveniently ‘sick’ in Cuba (a friendly country to her), trials to be begun, stacks of USD hidden in Santa Cruz and the US, she could really get away with whatever she wants. She has enough money stacked to buy what she needs.

Bureaucracy and racism put me off.
    But I can see why people from the US can see Italy with shiny new eyes and enjoy it.

Not all move to Italy as retired on a US pension. I think those are the lucky ones.

I fill me days translating vital records for people wanting to have their Italian citizenship recognized. It is a big thing right now, since Trump took office.