Posts by Splinter

Austria is imposing a 20-day lockdown for everyone, including those who have been vaccinated, and is also mandating compulsory vaccinations from Feb 1st, 2022.

If you're going to make it compulsory, rightly or wrongly, why wait so long?

For any Argentine wanting to watch even a couple of games in Doha, it's going to be incredibly expensive. Not only the 21-hour flight but also accommodation, meals and everything else. It could easily exceed AR$1million and that's just in today's money because we're talking November 2022, so who knows where we'll be in twelve months' time?

Being an Islamic country, football fans will also have to observe local laws such as how to dress, body language, limited venues for booze and the repercussions for breaking any of the laws are very harsh.

I'll most likely watch it on TV. :gandalf:

Today I noticed a rattling sound from the front and when changing the oil, I noticed that the front wheel had a wobble which at first I thought maybe the bearing was shot. But on closer inspection I saw that nut holding the wheel rod/axle in place, was loose. That could have been tricky, so I'm going to have to be more vigilant in future.

Recently I have lost any idea of what things are worth we are more or less fine but I have to spend far too much time trying to find out if we are really fine.

This is what concerns me. I don't really know what things are worth nowadays and what's more, whether we are being ripped off. I think we are and people are taking advantage of the situation far and wide. My oil for example is way beyond 50% inflation.

Hence the expressions 'Que vamos a hacer?' and 'Es lo que hay.' etc etc

Three or four years on and inflation still hasn't been dealt with and as we all know, it's running at about 50% annually.

Last year on this day I bought a litre of oil for the bike and it was $540 and today the same oil was $1000. That's a tad more than 50% inflation, so someone is taking the piss Argentine style.

In fact, everyone is.

Talk about bending the truth and wrapping it up just to improve your image, Victoria Tolosa Paz, the government's poster child candidate who lost in the recent elections, says ' Even though most don't believe it, I have 16 grandchildren.'  Hmm, at 48 years old?

It turns out that they are the grandchildren from the seven sons of her ex husband who she has recently remarried.

Glamourous gran? Glam yes, but not a gran.

A federal prosecutor, Diego Velasco, has rejected CFK's request to have all the charges dropped and he states that an oral trial must go ahead.

This could either be interesting or end up as a puff of smoke. Or the prosecutor himself disappears in mysterious circumstances.

El fiscal pidió que se rechace el sobreseimiento de Cristina Kichner y que se haga el juicio oral de Los Sauces y Hotesur
    Diego Velasco sostuvo que hay prueba pendiente y que todo se debe analizar en un juicio para el que pidió que se fije la fecha de inicio. Ahora debe resolver…
    www.infobae.com

I've been rearranging the furniture for Argentina-Brazil tonight (kick off 20.30) in the World Cup qualifier. We don't have cable, only Internet and TV Publica doesn't show it live on YouTube so I've connected my second PC to watch it on their website. With TYC Sports you have to be signed up with Cablevision and others, but the public service is free. That's about the only thing I'm grateful to this government for :facepalm:

Ireland beat the All Blacks in an amazing game of rugby on Saturday. I bet Dublin was was hell of a party that night!

I highly recommend this German film which is beautifully directed and the actors are simply first class. It opens your eyes to a Germany post war and the laws that were passed shortly afterwards, many of which protected the Nazis.

No English subtitles on Netflix so I had to watch with German dialogue and Spanish subs, but it was enough. A remarkable film.

Farcical situation yesterday regards voting stations. My wife had to go to a school on the road out of town, I had to go to a school close to my mother in law and finally we took the MIL to a school just around the corner from where we live. F'ing crazy!!

Same for me. I had to go to a school about five miles away while my English mate went to a school about ten minutes walk from his house.

This map shows the reality of what Albert&Co are denying/celebrating.

Pop concerts, crowded night clubs, shopping malls, running people over with trucks, newspaper offices... should I go on?

They will stop at nothing, so no, hospitals are not off limits to these murdering scum.

Alberto is trying the tactic of the US’s disgraced, twice-impeached, former president: pretending They didn’t lose. We’ll see if Albie can also succeed in ripping his nation apart, perhaps whipping up disappointed followers to attempt a coup to “stop the steal.”

I can’t believe he would get very far with that. Not enough charisma and not enough deluded followers.

He has as much charisma as a dead sheep.