There are 25 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 11,314 times. The latest Post () was by Carlos.

• Carlos, I don’t remember: could a former president run again after an intervening term, or was it one term in a lifetime?

A president in Argentina could be reelected one more term. (2 terms), Then he must wait one term to be a candidate again.

The problem that I note is that there are intermediate elections for representatives in the second year of a term, therefore the government tries to win again and is moved to a new electoral campaign, so it prevents to follow the advice of Machiavelli. (Do the evil at once, the good gradually). And many times a good government has to proceed in an unpopular way.

People do not like this, as it happens when your doctor tells you to stop eating, or stop smoking to recover your health.

In my personal mood, I prefer the hard things to be done now, however harsh and perhaps unbearable. But I was born a conservative and of course, not populist.

Duty is always before pleasure.

• Carlos, I don’t remember: could a former president run again after an intervening term, or was it one term in a lifetime?

A president in Argentina could be reelected one more term. (2 terms), Then he must wait one term to be a candidate again.

So if the terms had been 6 years, Queen Cristina could conceivably have reigned for 12 consecutive years instead of 8?

• So if the terms had been 6 years, Queen Cristina could conceivably have reigned for 12 consecutive years instead of 8?

Yes, that was possible.

That was the original plan when Mr Kirchner was alive. He said "Pinguino o Pinguina", (Penguin or she-penguin) so they aimed to exchange powers every two terms of 4 years and be presidents for almost an eternity.

But fate decided otherwise. He died. And economy with Cristina went for worse. With all these subsidies there will be bankruptcy, as almost happened. Cristina left a mined field in all aspects of the country. This proofs that she was not looking for the wellness of the country. She was looking for her own power.