Everybody over 18 to be an organ donor

There are 5 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,948 times. The latest Post () was by EJLarson.

• Official Post

The Argentinian Senate has recently voted a law that change the perspective in the organ donation scenario: everybody over 18 years old is a donor, unless they explicitly decide against it.

In case of minors, both parents must agree. If you do not want to be an organ donor or you want to limit the organs you donate, you have to sign up with Incucai or other public offices (such as Registro Civil, ReNaPer, Correo).

LA NACION - Los mayores de 18 años serán donantes de órganos, salvo que se hayan opuesto - http://www.lanacion.com.ar/2150385

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• At first glance, this seems like a very sensible thing to do, since people who don't want to be donors can opt out. I'm wondering about the reasons that more countries don't enact similar legislation?

• Official Post

At first glance, this seems like a very sensible thing to do, since people who don't want to be donors can opt out. I'm wondering about the reasons that more countries don't enact similar legislation?

The Argentinian Society of Transplants is against this law. They say that most people do not know about it and thus become 'organ factories' without knowing it.

Tras la votación en el Senado en mayo pasado, la Sociedad Argentina de Trasplantes (SAT), la entidad científica que reúne a los médicos trasplantólogos, envió una carta a las autoridades del Incucai para expresar su desacuerdo con la eliminación de la consulta final a la familia del presunto donante.

• There used to be a "Book of the Month" club. Instead of allowing members to request a book, the club automatically sent it unless a member said "I don't want it." Very annoying, as the deadline for declining often passed and the unwanted book would arrive in the mail.

In a way, this organ donor opt-out system is similar, except the word "deadline" really means business.

• Official Post

While I understand that organ donations can save many lives, and not being religious, I understand where it comes from. However, in a sub developed country like this one it could have nefarious consequences, like going around killing people on commission to get your ‘client’ their organ and ‘organ harvesting’ tourism.

Also, I think that awareness campaign were not done in either sense and that - indeed - Argentina is not enough educated country to be implementing such breakthrough.

Finally, giving the above-law ‘power’ Argentinian surgeons/physician feel entitled to (inviting colleagues to make abortions as painful as possible and to scratch women who may legally decide to have an abortion) I am not sure how such a sensitive medical issue like by-default donor would look like.

Are tourists part of this law, too? If you get fatally wounded while in Argentina, are your organs harvested?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk