Federal judge throws $3.5 million party for 15 year old daughter

There are 3 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,825 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• Official Post

A federal judge at Comodoro Py who is under investigation for illicit enrichment has thrown a lavish party 15th birthday party for his daughter, said to have cost around US$125,000.

Now, I know that in Argentina, everyone is immediately suspicious of anyone spending huge amounts of money because most people think everyone else is a crook. But when it's a judge who theoretically would have to have saved his monthly salary for 20 months to pay for it.

It's also worth pointing out that judges do not pay income tax (but new judges will, apparently) so he's earning a fair packet, said to be between $75,000 - $125,000 per month.

Either way, this is an obscene amount to spend on a birthday party and guess what? The city mayor Horacio Larreta's wife Bárbara Diez was the party's organiser for which she charged $ 284,500.

This judge has very expensive properties here and in Uruguay, some of which are said the be valued at over US$1m, yet his tax returns show assets at around 2 million pesos.

• Outrageous. And no one will take this any further than the newspaper's reporting, I assume.

I never knew that judges didn't pay tax. What in the world was the rationale for that? What other ex officio exemptions are there? Congress? President?

• This kind of thing ranks right up there among argentinismos with raising prices when something doesn’t sell and protesting by blocking roads without telling anyone why.

This guy has to know he’s being watched. And maybe nothing will come from it - but why take the chance? Why shine a light on your corruption? Maybe Carlos can explain this widespread sign of Argentine social insanity?

• This kind of thing ranks right up there among argentinismos with raising prices when something doesn’t sell and protesting by blocking roads without telling anyone why.

This guy has to know he’s being watched. And maybe nothing will come from it - but why take the chance? Why shine a light on your corruption? Maybe Carlos can explain this widespread sign of Argentine social insanity?

"Argentinismos?" Definition, please?