Venezuela inflation hit 18,000 per cent in April

There are 8 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Splinter.

• It now takes large carrier bag of worthless Bolivars to pay for a coffee and many people aren't having children because they can't afford nappies or milk.

What's worse is that Maduro, who has just been elected for a further six years, doesn't seem prepared to take any steps to improve the situation and will probably make it worse.

Some are predicting hyperinflation of 100,000 % by the end of the year, which puts Argentina's inflation of 25% into luxury status.

Venezuelans contemplate their future after Maduro's win

In Venezuela, inflation quadruples to 18,000 percent in two months, with no end in sight

• I used to visit Venezuela 3 or 4 times a year back in the late eighties.

I have some great memories and still have friends who still live there.

I talk to them every month or so and it is so sad to see what has happened.

Some time soon the military will lose patience with him and he will be overthrown. It really cant happen quick enough...

• Some time soon the military will lose patience with him and he will be overthrown. It really cant happen quick enough...

Chavez locked the military in with benefits (bribes) and Maduro, obviously, is keeping them going.

What we have to remember, sadly, is that we’re talking South America. No guarantee that a military government would be any better, and the chavista generals would be unlikely to hand power to anyone on the right.

We’re left with “anything would be better,” I suppose.

• Perhaps a Zimbabwe kind of move, where the military moved in, removed Mugabe and then took a back seat.

In fact, there are democratic elections in four months time. It's possible this may happen in Venezuela.

No one would like that better than the anti-chavista venezolanos (the large majority today).

• At least the country can be assured that Maduro won fair and square. How reassuring to have a democratically elected president, eh? NO COLLUSION!

• Perhaps a Zimbabwe kind of move, where the military moved in, removed Mugabe and then took a back seat.

In fact, there are democratic elections in four months time. It's possible this may happen in Venezuela.

After all these years of Chavez/Maduro military bribes, is there any reason to hope that the military would be content to take a back seat?

• That was our destiny if CFK had won in the last presidential elections. But 50 % of the people are still longing from her government, which makes changes in the Economy much more difficult.