Will the USA's unilaterally breaking the multinational JPOA (Iran Agreement) make the world more secure?

There are 15 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 5,033 times. The latest Post () was by Glamdring.

• Will the USA's unilaterally breaking the multinational JPOA (Iran Agreement) make the world more secure? 6

1. no (4) 0%
    2. yes (2) 0%
    3. don't know / don't care / prefer to keep head in sand (0) 0%

How do you feel about the action taken by the current US president today?

• Surely this is a topic on which forum members have opinions? Isn’t this the most consequential thing happening in the entire world right now?

Here is an article about reactions among countries the US likes to call allies:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/w…lear-deal-europe-sanction

An excerpt:

“European leaders continue to support, and he’s repeatedly hinted that the US is no longer committed to the mutual defense provision that is the heart of the NATO military alliance.

“The Iran decision, in other words, is just the latest reason for Europeans to conclude that the US is no longer a country that keeps its word and values its allies.”

Is this a fair assessment?

Can Europe hold the accord together?

Will Iran follow the lead of the US, and violate the agreement?

Is the world now a safer place?

• Here’s an in-depth look at possible economic and political consequences.

Particularly consequences to Iran. Besides the possibility of war in the middle east, I'm trying to imagine the consequences to Europe.

After the US pulled out of the Climate Accord, other countries began to wonder if they could trust the word of the United States. Now that we have broken the JCPOA, they know they can't. This is a considerable consequence to the USA.

But back to the original question: does this action make the world less safe or more safe? Or will it have no effect on world security outside of the middle east?

• But back to the original question: does this action make the world less safe or more safe? Or will it have no effect on world security outside of the middle east?

You’d have to ask someone way smarter than me.

We should remember that Iran just launched rockets into Israel from their Syrian positions, resulting in major Israeli retaliatory strikes. I seriously doubt that any diplomatic actions by anyone could have more effect on security than those overt military actions.

• I think Trump doesn't believe Iran were making nukes

Iran threatened to start making nukes "on an industrial scale"

Trump's response per usual is "If you do, be warned of the consequences" etc..,just goes to prove he doesn't believe what he says

• I don't see any disconnect between what the two of you are saying.

No wonder Iran is pissed off. Given the reverse -- if they were the ones who pulled out of the agreement, would WE be satisfied with "diplomatic means?" I think not.

• I don't see any disconnect between what the two of you are saying.

No wonder Iran is pissed off. Given the reverse -- if they were the ones who pulled out of the agreement, would WE be satisfied with "diplomatic means?" I think not.

The disconnect is in speculating that there’s a link and that the shelling was in some way retaliatory. And retaliating by shooting rockets at Israeli positions to piss off the US? Iran hardly needs a trigger to do that.

The articles clearly state that, according to the BBC people covering the story, there’s nothing coming from Iran that ties the two. Maybe yes, maybe no, but at this point we don’t know and any guessing is no more than individual speculation, which we are free to do.

• You see, this is the problem with US presidencies - all the world's other leaders follow like spineless fucking lapdogs, which is a bit rich considering their own personal opinions on the mad dog that's the current resident of the White House.

Perhaps it's time they stood up and were counted.

Xi Jinping and Little Rocket Man are making it clear they aren't in the lapdog pack. If unpredictability and sudden reversals are traits prized by this president, he must be very pleased with the talk coming out of North Korea this week.