A world of languages

There are 4 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Rice.

• Absolutely fascinating! Thank you for sharing this. Never seen this kind of visual tracing of language roots. What a compelling presentation. And from the outraged howls in the comments section, it must be quite accurate, too.

My only complaint is the gross underestimation of the Scots speakers. There are many, many more than depicted, but they’re just too modest.

• This really is fascinating, and complementary to the language tree Posted by serafina . I would like to see a follow-up corollary to this chart, factoring OUT the countries with the most people speaking each language but leaving leaving the rest; that is, a chart showing the number of French speakers outside of France, English speakers outside the US, Portuguese speakers outside Brazil, etc.. The resulting numbers/ area sizes of the languages' reach would be very interesting as well.

• This really is fascinating, and complementary to the language tree Posted by serafina . I would like to see a follow-up corollary to this chart, factoring OUT the countries with the most people speaking each language but leaving leaving the rest; that is, a chart showing the number of French speakers outside of France, English speakers outside the US, Portuguese speakers outside Brazil, etc.. The resulting numbers/ area sizes of the languages' reach would be very interesting as well.

It would be interesting, but the comments made it clear that the point of these charts was only to map first-language speakers geographically - not to map all speakers; thus, India has no English-speaking presence on the tree.

• True. I liked seeing the first-language-speakers chart. But would also like to see a chart of ANY-language-speakers, absent the largest countries speaking those languages. I wonder if such information is available anywhere?