There are 10 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Rice.

• What is the highest USD to peso exchange rate that y'all have encountered?

I've gotten a range of 2000 pesos to 2600 so far but am curious as to whether or not it gets any higher.

Thanks! :thumbup:

You’re apparently talking about exchanging $US100. The current rate is close to 20.2 pesos per dollar. If you can get 26, please let us know where.

• Sorry, yeah, 100.

So, girlfriend told me a family member knew people who could exchange it at that rate and told me to hold onto my dollars until both of them are back in the country for that reason. From your response, I'm guessing she might be mistaken. She repeated it explicitly multiple times, though.

Anyway, thanks for the response.

• Sorry, yeah, 100.

So, girlfriend told me a family member knew people who could exchange it at that rate and told me to hold onto my dollars until both of them are back in the country for that reason. From your response, I'm guessing she might be mistaken. She repeated it explicitly multiple times, though.

Anyway, thanks for the response.

Since the government killed the two-tier exchange system a couple of years ago, there’s no competition in exchange, and only one rate. You might find variation in the second decimal, but nothing worth spending any time looking for.

• Since the government killed the two-tier exchange system a couple of years ago, there’s no competition in exchange, and only one rate. You might find variation in the second decimal, but nothing worth spending any time looking for.

May the Blue Dollar rest in peace. But I sure miss it!

• Thanks! I was making table-side guacamole in Beaver Creek, CO, when I met the girl who brought me to Argentina. She left her real estate involved Argentinian boyfriend and brought home the weirdest, poorest gringo she could possibly find.

Her family was horrified.

Kinda funny, really :D

But her old boyfriend couldn't produce guacamole Post Montaigne for her family!

• I think you could get 2600 ARS if you were (very lucky) exchanging 100 EUR, but no way you are getting them for 'just' 100 USD.

In Mar del Plata there are a couple of legit exchange places known to me: La Moneta and Transcambio. Their exchange rate might differ of a 0.1 point, no more. If you are exchanging small amounts (like 1,000 USD) that's really a minor difference.

On La Moneta's website you can see their daily exchange rate in the lower left corner, which is now:

DOLAR
    Valor histórico

Compra: 20.00

Venta: 20.90

EURO
    Valor histórico

Compra: 25.90

Venta: 27.40

Última actualización: 20-04-2018 17:18

La Moneta has two places: the one on Güemes is smaller and safer, in a nicer shopping area, and with a nicer tender. In any case, when you go to a legit place be prepared to hand your ID which will be copied and filed into their systems, together with your occupation and marital status. Basically, every time you conduct a legit exchange operation, you are giving a Declaración Jurada (DJ) on you. For Argentinian residents/citizens, these data will popup in your AFIP (=IRS) record online, under Nuestra Parte.

Changing on the parallel market (from 'friends'), as EJLarson said, may give you +0.1 and no paperwork. However, be careful with fake bank notes, especially if you are offered an unbelievable exchange rate such as 26 when everybody is getting 20.

For the parallel market, the most used reference is Ambito Financero, under Informal exchange rate for the USD

• I do not see any problem in the present grow of the dollar. It is absolutely natural.

My rationale is that when Macri took the government the dollar was 17,50 pesos.

Form that date, the inflation rate grew to a plus of 85 % (2 years and a half, not making a simple sum but considering of the financial grow)

Therefore the dollar if you apply this percentage must be, following the inflation, 17,50 multiplied per 1,85, that means 32,75.-

Therefore there is no wonder that the dollar cost now 23 pesos. Even now the peso is overvalued.

Many people complains about the cost of the services but this is the effect that in 12 years they pay ridiculous sums for electricity, water & sewage, natural gas and so forth. Meanwhile, the other services grew up a lot: internet services, gasoline, general stuff. And they did not make any claim.

We have to pay the real prices, not those invented by demagogic governments.

It is very common that those people who complain for that and at the same time a coffee cost $ 50.- and they feel well and consider this a decent price.

Therefore, you expats be happy. The dollar will continue to grow!

• I had forgotten that the dollar was 17.5 pesos in late2015. But I have not forgotten that, while inflation continued at its normal 30-40% for the next 2 years, the dollar shrank to 15 pesos for most of the 2+ year period.

I wonder if the new exchange rate will affect the Miami shopping sprees by upper middle class Argentine families?