Museo Malvinas e Islas del Atlántico Sur

There are 6 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 5,677 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• Official Post

I've been meaning to go to this museum for a long time and one of the reasons I haven't is that I always thought it may be a huge propaganda tool erected by La Campora, which is in fact a very good reason for going in itself.

Anyway, I'm hoping to persuade 'er indoors to have a look today, especially since it's only around the corner in Olivos.

https://museomalvinas.cultura.gob.ar

https://www.google.com.ar/maps/place/Museum+Malvinas+and+South+Atlantic+Islands/@-34.536523,-58.4644009,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x95bcb6a0035dd5ff:0xe8b0ea2962445dc4!8m2!3d-34.536523!4d-58.4622122

After that and since it's around the corner we may visit the ESMA museum, where so many of the tortures took place.

https://www.google.com.ar/maps/place/Museo+Sitio+de+Memoria+ESMA/@-34.5369028,-58.4661191,17z/data=!4m12!1m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x3144bdf20e22a1e4!2sMuseo+Sitio+de+Memoria+ESMA!8m2!3d-34.536629!4d-58.465474!3m4!1s0x0:0x3144bdf20e22a1e4!8m2!3d-34.536629!4d-58.465474

• Official Post

I have been there, and it is, indeed, a huge propaganda. When I was there (Cristina was still in charge), it was pretty empty. There was a section with Antartica's animals which was the part I liked the most. However, like all propaganda in life, it is free and the bathroom were spotless.

Cover up your British accent, You might want to bring with you a thermos with mate, just in case.

• Official Post

We went yesterday actually, since it was a wet afternoon and it's literally just around the corner.

Easy to find and with plenty of parking, we found ourselves two of only about ten people. The new building is impressively imposing and the first place we went to was a 360 degree screening which depicts Argentina's longing for the islands, designed to tug at your heartstrings.

There are some striking displays of newspapers, magazines and rolling video of the junta announcing the recapture of the islands, how they were winning the war and Margaret Thatcher trying not to answer questions about whether the Belgrano was outside the Total Exclusion Zone when she was sunk.

I don't care for stuffed stuffed animals and stuck to the historical take on the conflict, the personal effects of soldiers, the personal photographs and more screenings of the war and how the junta came to power, which Adri wasn't able to watch till the end. I was living here when that happened, so it was a pertinent memory.

It wasn't as full of propaganda as I was expecting and may have been sanitised since Macri took over, but it still leaves you melancholy and with the abiding opinion that Argentina's claim to the Falklands is indeed legitimate.

I was also left with the burning image of Argentines thoroughly disillusioned following the euphoria of the invasion to the moment the Belgrano was sunk, when they realised that in fact Britain's intention was deadly serious.

It was an education and made me realise that the wound is still very much open, for which one must have respect.

• We were living in the US when it happened. We watched in horror as the news reports chronicled the disaster in progress. The worst part was that her father would call every day, excitedly telling us how the Argentines were rolling over the Brits. Cristina tried to tell him but he shouted angrily that what she was seeing was all Argentine-hating propaganda bullshit! The truth! We’re beating their asses!

In a sense, he never recovered from that. He died a couple of years later and we never again mentioned the subject.

• Official Post

As I said, when I visited the Museum Cristina (Kitchner) was still in full swing. I do not think that they have changed the exposition, to be honest. However, the video 'telling' what happened was in my opinion staged to depict what your father-in-law saw. I was looking it with a different set of eyes (and after several years) and I could not avoid thinking about the many young soldiers who were sent to war with no preparation and with their mind brainwashed.

Argentinians were blessfully ignorant on the Islands, why wake them up with this 'call'? Just a show off of the government to prove that it was a 'strong' powerful government.