World Cup air fare hikes have ruined our plans for a UK trip

There are 11 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Rice.

• The football (soccer) World Cup runs from 15th June to 15th July in Russia, a fact I had completely forgotten about and airlines have hiked their prices up to ridiculous levels for European flights between those dates.

My brother is having a 60th birthday party on the 7th of July, a date which he had already moved forward from June because of the imminent birth of two grandchildren. Yesterday I checked with Iberia only to find a return flight in those dates is around US$2600, where one would normally expect to pay around US$1400.

This has thrown the cat amongst the pigeons somewhat and bearing in mind he invited people already from far and wide, he's going to try and move the date again to August, when the effing World Cup will be well and truly over. (Yesterday Argentina went down 6-1 to Spain by the way in a friendly).

Thanks for holding us to ransom, nice airlines and no, I'm not going to fly cramped in a budget cattle van.

• One year ago we paid the least we ever paid for Houston-BsAs round trip at $US1100. This time the minimum was $1840. Are people flocking to Argentina these days? Don’t think so.

In your case there’s a solid reason for fare inflation, but otherwise it seemed that pricing is random.

• Until a couple of years ago, we were on planes about twice a week, and I was up to date on these things. Now we hate the whole flying experience so much that we head to an airport only when it is impossible to travel any other way.

So I'm out of the loop on airlines' fare structuring logic. Can anyone ( ben ?) explain why airfares to and from countries that are not Russia would be so affected? Who goes from Argentina to The World Cup in Russia by way of the UK? If no one, then why are those airfares affected?

• I would have to deep dive to give you a precise explanation, and am pretty much out of commission for the next week. So will stick to generalities.

Prices are generally determined by 2 things: fares and availability.

Economy class (or "economy cabin", in our lingo) is usually broken down into 10-15 "classes", each of which normally has a corresponding fare. The fare covers the route (origin/destination) in a given class of service. The price of a given flight will be that of the fare associated with the cheapest class available.

When a price is high, it is either because there is nothing available in the cheaper classes, or because the underlying fares are high. This may be because the are no cheap fares (duh!), or because there are no cheap fares that fit your trip. As an example, many of the cheaper fares come with restrictions. These may include minimum time of trip (Saturday night/3 days/7 days), advance purchase, a specific airport (say, EZE rather than AEP, or Newark vs. JFK/LGA), or even a specific flight. So if trip as you specified it doesn't qualify for a discounted fare, then you'll be looking at a high price.

An online portal will simply give you the price of the trip you input, without the underlying logic - the why. Conversely, your friendly neighborhood agent may be able to give you some info - that can sometimes point you the way towards saving a lot of money.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Splinter , feel free to post your dates and route (here or direct), and I'll have a look.

From 1-14 July, for example I'm seeing for 1500-ish direct EZE-LGW.

P.P.S. If Iberia doesn't qualify for "budget cattle van", what does? ?

I do airline tickets, car rental, hotels, cruises, insurance, and all-inclusive packages.

If you want great service and low prices, look no further.
    I also sell local SIM cards for several countries.
    ben@kanfeinesharim.com

Edited 3 times, last by ben ().

• For 3 to 23 July Iberia is around $2600 and Air Europa $2150 (4-24 July)

This is from Adri's cousin who works at Ricale.com and we like to use him because he's family.

I haven't been able to find anything less and neither has he, bearing in mind that the W Cup is 15th June to 15th July which must have a bearing on this.

I'd be delighted if you could come up with something cheaper Ben.

As far as Iberia and cattle van is concerned, last year we flew BA Boeing 777 which are ancient and haven't been upgraded yet for certain stuff like decent screens, USB and the like.

Iberia on the other hand is flying nearly new Airbus A340-600, which is why I've chosen them. This aspect is very important to me since I loath flying, like many do.

An the other hand Carlos tells me that Air Europa are running Boeing 787-900 Dreamliners on this route, which would be even better.

• A direct flight Ezeiza - Gatwick with Norwegian on those dates will set you back 1900 or less.

Ricale doesn't offer it because Norwegian does not (yet?) have sales via Argentine agencies, so they can't sell it. But I can.

I do airline tickets, car rental, hotels, cruises, insurance, and all-inclusive packages.

ben@kanfeinesharim.com

• Yes, they use Dreamliners 787-900.

The $1900 price was for 3-23 July (they don't fly on the 4th and the 5th costs much more).

Keep in mind their times are a bit funny. They leave here 11 am, arrive Gatwick 4 am the next morning.

Return is fine, departs 10:30 pm and arrives here at 8:10 am.

ben@kanfeinesharim.com

• As far as Iberia and cattle van is concerned, last year we flew BA Boeing 777 which are ancient and haven't been upgraded yet for certain stuff like decent screens, USB and the like.

Totally agree about 777's. Have had two awful trips on them in the past month. Arggggghhhhh!